Esc key does not stop thumb creation

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

wolfgangbeyer

Esc key does not stop thumb creation

Post by wolfgangbeyer »

Hi,

According to the online Help the Esc key should stop thumb creation. This seems not to work even for version 1.91: I can not change to an other folder during thumb creation even after pressing Esc. Is this a bug or my special problem?

By the way: Esc seems to be somewhat dangerous for that because it can also defined to exit XnView. A window asking "Do you really want to exit XnView?" in this case would be fine.

Or even better: Any new action should stop thumb creation instead of Esc, as already suggested in http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3707
Wolfgang Beyer
www.wolfgangbeyer.de
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Esc key does not stop thumb creation

Post by xnview »

wolfgangbeyer wrote:Hi,

According to the online Help the Esc key should stop thumb creation. This seems not to work even for version 1.91: I can not change to an other folder during thumb creation even after pressing Esc. Is this a bug or my special problem?

By the way: Esc seems to be somewhat dangerous for that because it can also defined to exit XnView. A window asking "Do you really want to exit XnView?" in this case would be fine.

Or even better: Any new action should stop thumb creation instead of Esc, as already suggested in http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=3707
Strange, between thumbnails creation i can hit ESC to stop it, or change to another folder without ESC and problem...
You have a setting for ESC in Option/Keyboard
Pierre.
wolfgangbeyer

Post by wolfgangbeyer »

I analysed the things in more detail and found, that I have a completely different problem as I thought, and which concerns the creation of the thumbs in the visible(!) part of the thumb browser window only: The creation of these thumbs occurs with extremely reduced speed, and only during this time the Esc key has no effect as well as any other action. For a folder with images of 3MB each the following happens: First I see the creation of thumbs from bottom to top each with a size of about 30 pixel with a rate of about 1 thumb per second only! In case of 150kb images about 10 thumbs are created per second. During this time nothing goes. The task manager indicates for this time 99% CPU time for XnView. When this is completed these thumbs expand to the configured size of 100 pixel in much less than 1 second for the whole browser window. Then the creation of the non visible thumbs occurs with about 100 thumbs per second. During this phase Esc and any other action interrupt the thumb creation. So the question is: What happens during the creation of the visible thumbs?

I closed AntiVir, Spybot, Copernic Desktop Search, and performed a reset of the thumb database but nothing changes. What can I do to analyse the problem in more detail?
Wolfgang Beyer
www.wolfgangbeyer.de
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

wolfgangbeyer wrote:I analysed the things in more detail and found, that I have a completely different problem as I thought, and which concerns the creation of the thumbs in the visible(!) part of the thumb browser window only: The creation of these thumbs occurs with extremely reduced speed, and only during this time the Esc key has no effect as well as any other action. For a folder with images of 3MB each the following happens: First I see the creation of thumbs from bottom to top each with a size of about 30 pixel with a rate of about 1 thumb per second only! In case of 150kb images about 10 thumbs are created per second. During this time nothing goes. The task manager indicates for this time 99% CPU time for XnView. When this is completed these thumbs expand to the configured size of 100 pixel in much less than 1 second for the whole browser window. Then the creation of the non visible thumbs occurs with about 100 thumbs per second. During this phase Esc and any other action interrupt the thumb creation. So the question is: What happens during the creation of the visible thumbs?

I closed AntiVir, Spybot, Copernic Desktop Search, and performed a reset of the thumb database but nothing changes. What can I do to analyse the problem in more detail?
Very strange???? 1 thumb per second when visible??
Which picture format? Which OS?
Pierre.
wolfgangbeyer

Post by wolfgangbeyer »

Hi, Pierre
xnview wrote: 1 thumb per second when visible??
Yes, for 3MB images. For 150kb images about 10 thumbs per second. If I cover the thumb window during this slow thumb creation time with an other window like an explorer for instance, than the thumbs hidden by this window are created with the usual speed.
xnview wrote:Which picture format? Which OS?
I have XP SP2. The problem occurs for JPG and PNG but not for BMP. The difference seems to be that for BMP no such 30 pixel mini thumbs are created but identical icons before they are replaced by the thumbs with the configured size. I installed XnView on a second PC, and there I don’t have this problem. On this second PC also for JPG and PNG first identical icons are created (and not such mini 30 pixel thumbs) which are then replaced by the thumbs.

The problem occurs for all users on the PC and on all hard disks. It occurs for FAT32 and NTFS. I occurs for “Use embedded thumbnails” activated and not activated.
Wolfgang Beyer
www.wolfgangbeyer.de
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

wolfgangbeyer wrote:Hi, Pierre
xnview wrote: 1 thumb per second when visible??
Yes, for 3MB images. For 150kb images about 10 thumbs per second. If I cover the thumb window during this slow thumb creation time with an other window like an explorer for instance, than the thumbs hidden by this window are created with the usual speed.
xnview wrote:Which picture format? Which OS?
I have XP SP2. The problem occurs for JPG and PNG but not for BMP. The difference seems to be that for BMP no such 30 pixel mini thumbs are created but identical icons before they are replaced by the thumbs with the configured size. I installed XnView on a second PC, and there I don’t have this problem. On this second PC also for JPG and PNG first identical icons are created (and not such mini 30 pixel thumbs) which are then replaced by the thumbs.

The problem occurs for all users on the PC and on all hard disks. It occurs for FAT32 and NTFS. I occurs for “Use embedded thumbnails” activated and not activated.
It's crazy, i don't understand. And what is the difference between the 2 pc?
Pierre.
wolfgangbeyer

Post by wolfgangbeyer »

Good news: I just found the solution! It has something to do with Photoshop 7.0 on my PC. I can solve the problem by a right mouse click on a JPG file in the windows explorer. There Photoshop obviously has installed an additional tab called "Photoshop image" ("Photoshop-Bild" in german) with only one option called perhaps "Create thumb" or "Create icon" ("Miniatur erzeugen" in german) which was activated. Deactivating this option solves the problem for all these extensions associated with Photoshop!

By the way: If this option is activated also the Photoshop icon creation (no thumbs are created!) in the windows explorer for files associated with Photoshop takes exactly as long as the creation of these strange 30 pixel mini thumbs in XnView.

I don't know if this is also a problem for newer Photoshop versions, but perhaps it seems to be worth to be mentioned in the FAQs. Strange that I am obviously the first one in this forum with this problem, so far I can see. Perhaps most people think that's the usual speed of XnView. So I often heard that XnView is slowly compared with IrfanView for instance. Even the german computer magazin c't (april 2007, no. 10, page 120) stated, that viewing and editing non compressed 8 megapixel TIF images is extremely slow compared to IrfanView. I don't know if this could have something to do with this problem.
Wolfgang Beyer
www.wolfgangbeyer.de
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

wolfgangbeyer wrote: I don't know if this is also a problem for newer Photoshop versions, but perhaps it seems to be worth to be mentioned in the FAQs. Strange that I am obviously the first one in this forum with this problem, so far I can see. Perhaps most people think that's the usual speed of XnView. So I often heard that XnView is slowly compared with IrfanView for instance. Even the german computer magazin c't (april 2007, no. 10, page 120) stated, that viewing and editing non compressed 8 megapixel TIF images is extremely slow compared to IrfanView. I don't know if this could have something to do with this problem.
No i don't think, but it's strange that they say 'is extremely slow compared'????
Pierre.
wolfgangbeyer

Post by wolfgangbeyer »

Hi, Pierre,

I forgot one step in the description how to solved the problem: In Windows explorer you have to make a right mouse click on a JPG file, then "Properties"(!) > "Photoshop image" > "Create thumbs" (or "icons"?) > disable.

About the c't article from april 2007: It was an article about converters and viewers for Office files, images, videos and other files. Images were only a chapter where they compared only XnView and IrfanView. They sayed about XnView:

* It has a well arranged user interface.
* All trials to display SVG files failed.
* Searching for similar files leads to surprisingly useful results, a feature which was "found so far only in expensive image database programs".
* The noise reduction doesn't lead to visible improvements.
* Displaying and editing non compressed 8 megapixel TIF images needs very much resources, so the computer works with "extreme delay". This is observed to be better for IrfanView.
* It knows much more file types than IrfanView.
* It can not multiple rename files with placeholders for EXIF parameters, but IrfanView is able to do that (they obviously had an older version of XnView).
Wolfgang Beyer
www.wolfgangbeyer.de
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

wolfgangbeyer wrote: * Displaying and editing non compressed 8 megapixel TIF images needs very much resources, so the computer works with "extreme delay". This is observed to be better for IrfanView.
Strange...
* It can not multiple rename files with placeholders for EXIF parameters, but IrfanView is able to do that (they obviously had an older version of XnView).
Really??? XnView was the first to have batch rename feature!!
Pierre.