Xnview 1.91.6 as Acdsee remplacement: how to speed up? RAW..

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Eric B

Xnview 1.91.6 as Acdsee remplacement: how to speed up? RAW..

Post by Eric B »

Hello,

I am using Xnview for quite a while. Thanks a lot for this powerful tool.

However, until now, I kept an old version of ACDSee as main viewer because it is faster. With all superior features of Xnview, I would like to drop completely ACDSee and use Xnview as main viewer. But sometimes, it hangs too much to allow that.
Main use: every jpg/png images on my computer, and particularly, the photographs from a Canon DSLR set in RAW+JPEG mode.

In mode option/browser/preview, I've disabled everything and set the Camera Raw to "Embedded Thumbnail", but it does not seem to be enough.

So I have some question to enhance my experience with Xnview:

1) How to disable completely the read of the RAW CR2 file? In the browser with the thumbnail , it is nice, but in viewer mode, it is too sloooow to be opened.

2) Similarly, as I am looking for a fast image viewer and not a all-in-one solution, I have disabled the viewing of all video/audio file. It seem to work properly now.

3) Can the file be somehow preloaded as ACDSee does, ie the next image is loaded from the HDD when the current is displayed, so that the switch is almost immediate?

4) Is is possible to go back to the first file of the directory after the last one? (i.e. by pressing next in the last file, i want to jump to the first one)

5) All in all, Xnview is a very good viewer, and I've just seen that the lock-zoom feature as I was looking for has been added in 1.91.6. Thanks a lot!
With this new lock-zoom, the position of the zoomed image which is kept when browsing. Now, I can use it exactly as the browsing between the picture in the Canon camera, typically when taking many times the same picture, and for selecting the best one / removing the others.[/b]
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Xnview 1.91.6 as Acdsee remplacement: how to speed up? R

Post by oops66 »

1) How to disable completely the read of the RAW CR2 file? In the browser with the thumbnail , it is nice, but in viewer mode, it is too sloooow to be opened.
View\filter by\custom
and
Options\filelist\ custom files (at the bottom) and add : CR2
like here:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=54267#54267
3) Can the file be somehow preloaded as ACDSee does, ie the next image is loaded from the HDD when the current is displayed, so that the switch is almost immediate?
Option\view\misc.\cache : read one image ahead + keep current

4) find by youself this time !
an Option too in view .... : loop on the file list
Last edited by oops66 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Eric B

Post by Eric B »

Thanks a lot for the fast response.
Respect!

Indeed, I've missed the View/Misc. page of the option. Everything is there, and particularly the Camera Raw/Embedded Thumbnail.

Now, it is fast and efficient.

Well done, I can remove ACDSee now!