Doublons in Thumbnails' Cache... :-(

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Doublons in Thumbnails' Cache... :-(

Post by Olivier_G »

I have just noticed that for JPEG and TIFF with IPTC data, the thumbnails are not correctly cached.
(but... THM files with IPTC are correctly cached)

:?:

Olivier
Last edited by Olivier_G on Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier
helmut

Re: Thumbnails of images with IPTC are not cached correctly

Post by helmut »

Olivier_G wrote:I have just noticed that for JPEG and TIFF with IPTC data, the thumbnails are not correctly cached.
How do you verify and see that caching does not work?
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

By switching from an empty directory to my main directory, most thumbnails are displayed immediately (JPEG/TIFF without IPTC) except those: I can see the Thumbnails of the TIFF/JPEG with IPTC appear one by one...

If I create and add IPTC fields to one JPEG that was previously correctly cached, and do this switching again... it will appear slowly too.

Olivier

Post by Guest »

Did you try optimize?
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Strange

Post by Olivier_G »

I had tried 'Optimize' without any result...

I then have deleted the cache for this directory to see the changes:
- I switch directory and come back => all thumbnails are slowly regenerated. Normal.
- In the Cache, it says: 550 images are cached... whereas there are only 62 objects (no multiple TIFF, GIF, PNG or...).
- Each time I switch back, XnView adds 8 images to the cache of this directory (and there are 8 images JPEG/TIFF with IPTC, slowly regenerated) => 558, 566, 574 images in cache, etc...

I have some pdf, cr2, crw, thm, dng, html, lnk in the same directory that may affect this strange behaviour...
...I will try in another empty directory with only TIFF/JPEG files with IPTC.

Olivier
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

More tests... and everything is back to normal

Post by Olivier_G »

I copied one by one all my files from the main directory to a subdirectory to try to isolate the problem... => no problem in this directory (right number of images cached, no slow regeneration, etc...).

I then deleted all the files in the main directory (it was "E:\"), and moved one by one all my files from the subdirectory back to the main directory... and everything worked perfectly there as well !!!

Summary: I had issue with images in "E:\", moved them in a subdirectory with XnView, moved them back in "E:\" with XnView ... and the problem is completely gone (and I can't reproduce it). Strange...

If you want to investigate further, I can try to help... but it looks like the issue is closed, now.

Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: More tests... and everything is back to normal

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:I copied one by one all my files from the main directory to a subdirectory to try to isolate the problem... => no problem in this directory (right number of images cached, no slow regeneration, etc...).

I then deleted all the files in the main directory (it was "E:"), and moved one by one all my files from the subdirectory back to the main directory... and everything worked perfectly there as well !!!

Summary: I had issue with images in "E:", moved them in a subdirectory with XnView, moved them back in "E:" with XnView ... and the problem is completely gone (and I can't reproduce it). Strange...

If you want to investigate further, I can try to help... but it looks like the issue is closed, now.
Perhaps a problem in the DB files????
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Re: More tests... and everything is back to normal

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:Perhaps a problem in the DB files????
Maybe...
In the Options>Browser>Cache, I did a "remove all" and then changed the Cache directory soon after installation, several days ago - I did not notice any issue at that time but... maybe the problem was already there, and moving the files solved it ?

Note: I moved it from the Default (I don't remember what it was) to "E:\=Cache" (same HD, 3rd NTFS partition).

Olivier
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

yesss!

Post by Olivier_G »

Hourra! Pierre: I have this problem again... :mrgreen:

What should I do ?
Send you the corresponding .db file ? the .ini ? any image ? or... ?

Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: yesss!

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:Hourra! Pierre: I have this problem again... :mrgreen:
What should I do ?
Send you the corresponding .db file ? the .ini ? any image ? or... ?
Could you send a folder with picture with the problem, and send me your .ini too.
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Files

Post by Olivier_G »

Pierre,
If I copy the folder with Windows Explorer and use XnView to check this new folder, I don't get the problem anymore. Therefore, you will not be able to reproduce the problem directly with the files (ie: they are probably not problematic per se).

I have uploaded some files on my website to show the problem:
(all thumbnails have already been created and cached)
- When I open the folder, some thumbnails are immediately showed while others are being re-created (see this screenshot just after selecting the folder: 5 images are properly showed). After completion, all thumbnails are showed (screenshot).
- You can also check the variation of files cached: with 450 images and with 522 images after 3 more viewings (29 Thumbnails - 5 properly handled x3 => +72) while the folder was not modified at all.

You can download here: 1 image not properly showed + my XnView .ini file + the cache file of the problematic folder.
Maybe you can find something in the DB file itself (check some reference issues, identical file names, etc...) ?

Olivier
PS1: I deleted the cache file with the options... and the problem disappeared again.
PS2: I currently use my system to test several softwares and some of them do not work as expected => this problem may be caused by some third-party software. I will soon revert to a clean image of my system and see how XnView behave...
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

I still had the problem in XnView 1.82.1: some images were cached several times, creating doublons, triplons, etc... although they were already in cache... :(
(I think I even had one cached folder with thousands of cached items, for only 100 files or so - and nothing changed meanwhile in that folder... :shock: )
Same issue is described here.
Olivier
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Olivier_G wrote:I still had the problem in XnView 1.82.1: some images were cached several times, creating doublons, triplons, etc... although they were already in cache... :(
(I think I even had one cached folder with thousands of cached items, for only 100 files or so - and nothing changed meanwhile in that folder... :shock: )
Same issue is described here.
Next release use a new cache system, with a true DB
Pierre.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

xnview wrote:Next release use a new cache system, with a true DB
Nice... :D
Thank you, Pierre.
Olivier