Iconset for XnView 1.75

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Iconset for XnView 1.75

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:I don't understand: If you use the standard icons of XnView 1.74, you will not be able to see the format? :?:
No and that's the reason why I want it.
helmut wrote:"still not enough" - not enough of what?
The size of the letters is still small for "detail view of MS Explorer"
helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:I think it's not a big problem today (for most of XnView users)...
That users don't have the right colors also in XnView (browser) or do they? I'm not sure what you meant, could you explain please?
Don't understand. You're answering my question with a question.
I think we both misunderstood this time...
helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Also you could use the 'standard' (near) colors or not? How it is in ACDSee?
What do you mean with standard colours? Which standard? ACDSee uses the 16 colours of the standard 16 colour map (yellow, red, blue, green, lightgreen, grey, lightgrey, ...). Have a look at the iconset provided by Carlos (see above), this is pretty much what ACDSee's 16x16 pixel icons look like.misunderstood
So why we can't use these "16 colours of the standard 16 colour map" - because ACDSee uses it? But if there are no other colours that can be used?

All I want is:
- big letters, readable also in "detail view of MS Explorer" (or in the file managers)
- colour differences, like in the browser (BMP, JPG, GIF ... )
Jim

Post by Jim »

Maybe a stupid question. But how do you associate a new iconset to the appropriate image-extensions?

Kind Regards,
Clo
XnThusiast

File-types---

Post by Clo »

>> Jim
:) Hello !
But how do you associate a new iconset to the appropriate image-extensions?
• AFAIK, you can't associate the whole icon-set to anything…
- You ought to associate each image file-type with the wished icon from Explorer >> Folders Options …
- Or if you use Total Commander : Files menu >>> Associate with >> Edit type >> Change icon.

• To change the whole icon-set in XnView, Pierre might plan some features allowing to change this from an “Option” sheet. :P
• Indeed, it should be a request I would support !

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Clo,

Thanks! I found a software that automates this task in an easy way:
Bee Icons (www.beeicons.com) It works great.
Unfortunately it is shareware. If anybody has a nice freeware alternative for this, let it know.

I agree with your suggestion.

Kind Regards,
helmut

Post by helmut »

I've put some more work into the 16x16 pixel icons and modified some few icons as examples.

Here's what it would look like in the detailview of MS Explorer (Iconset "HEL1"):

Think when using an individual colour for each format (as requested by like in Carlos' iconset), the XnView logo cannot be used since there would be too much colour in the icon, then.

Again, this is not a final solution but a basis for further discussions.
Last edited by helmut on Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clo
XnThusiast

My icons

Post by Clo »

Hi !
Think when using an individual colour for each format (as requested by like in Carlos' iconset), the XnView logo cannot be used…

¤ I agree. For a long while, I draw and use my own icons for the file types associated with XnView, in example below in a list of Total Commander:

- It's easy to distinguish each type, since the icons are quite different. Here, this is a special size (21*21, any size can be set in that program up to 64*64 now)
- Most certainly, a set could be made in that style {sun-glasses for those who don't like colours :P }

:mrgreen: Regards,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

helmut wrote:I've put some more work into the 16x16 pixel icons and modified some few icons as examples.
Excellent work, Helmut. I like it quite a lot:
- Nice and recognisable xnview logo
- Readable filetype (horizontal, at the bottom, like this, is great)
- Clean and 'light' design
Great like this... :D

About colors: may be we could use variations in the background + text colors, just in the area where the filetype letters stand (= half bottom) for JPG, GIF, PNG, TIF, RAW...
What's your opinion?
(I don't know if this is technically feasible - cf choice of colors - and if it would not worsen the design too much... And moreover, as I like it like that, I don't know if it would be worth the mess :mrgreen: )

Thank you,

Olivier
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Hello Helmut,

I like your new icons very much, but are they transparent? If they are, there is a problem. I'm using a dark blue background color in my file manager, so it would look like this :(

I think the colours are very important (also in higher resolution icons) - you will be using them automatically/subconscious and the text will no longer be needed for you. The text (ext.) is also at the end of the file name, so I think colours are even more important than text.

Please check my new 16x16 icons - bmp1 bmp2

In my file manager - bmp1 bmp2

Any better ideas (how to "save" the colours)?
ckv

Iconset by ckv

Post by ckv »

I also made sketch of new iconset for Xnview. 16 x 16 icons are very hard to make readable. Carlos made incredible job on 16 x 16 icons.

sketch 1
sketch 1

Dreamer your icons just get better and better. You should make the whole new iconset. I would use it.
Last edited by ckv on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer, Olivier, et al,

thank you for your constructive feedbacks. :-)

Actually, my 16x16 draft above has a drawback:

- If there are several entries, it's a bit hard to say which item in the list an icon belongs to (=difficult assignment)

Actually I like Dreamer's icons, which just use four orange dots to indicate that it's an image which will be opened by XnView.

I've used Dreamer's draft as a basis. To workaround the "difficult assignment" problem and moved the "bmp" to the middle to workaround the problem mentioned above.

Here's what it would look like in Explorer (Iconset "HEL2"):

To me this looks nice and clear. Not sure how intelligent Windows is: Perhaps we could have two formats for the 16x16 pixel icons
- with 256 colours
- with 16 colours.

The 256 colour one could use the same colouring as used within XnView. For the 16 colour-only versions, this surely would not work since only base colours are available. And if Windows automatically used the icons which fit best to colour depth...
Last edited by helmut on Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:I like your new icons very much, but are they transparent? If they are, there is a problem. I'm using a dark blue background color in my file manager, so it would look like this
Yep, that's a problem. One could workaround that by having a white background for example (just what you did in your draft). The white background would not appear when using standard settings, but when using other background than white, it can be seen. Also, when selecting an entry, the background can be seen. When making further drafts, we have to take the various backgrounds into account.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Another ideas - 16x16 - Image Image Image Image

I think the colours are important also in the higher resolution icons (32x32 and 48x48)

32x32 - Image

48x48 - Image
helmut

Re: Iconset by ckv

Post by helmut »

ckv wrote:I also made sketch of new iconset for Xnview. 16 x 16 icons are very hard to make readable. Carlos made incredible job on 16 x 16 icons.

sketch 1
sketch 1
Also a nice iconset, ckv. Think the colouring is a little bit confusing, here. I prefer to have the colouring next to the letters with the format - as in dreamers approach.
ckv

Dreamer modification

Post by ckv »

Dreamer sorry this little rip-off.
I used Dreamers idea here.
Maybe 48 x 48 looks too blunt.

Dreamer mod

Off topic: Why I cant upload avatar? I use currently off site avatar.
Last edited by ckv on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Maybe it's right time for a poll now... What you think Helmut?