Iconset for XnView 1.75

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: New iconset for 1.75

Post by Dreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:01 pm

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Done, with IconCool Editor - result - 2 icons.
The only difference is in 16x16 16 colours icons:
bmp 16x16 16c org.ico - no change, no new colours used
bmp 16x16 16c orange.ico - same as 16x16 256 colours icon
Good that you've found an icon editor which could edit the icons properly, as written before Microangelo and Axialis Icon Studio both had limitations. Would be perfect if IconCool Editor was Shareware, but Microangelo and Axialis aren't Freeware either.
IconCool Editor is shareware (more here), I didn't find any freeware icon editor with multi-format icon support.
helmut wrote:I'm not sure whether it makes sense to provide a 16 colour format which does not include the 16 standard colours. This has been done for the 32x32pixel icons before, you are now about introducing this for the 16x16 colours, also. Does anybody know whether there are limitations on Windows systems with these icon formats? What does it look like on a 256 colour Windows system?
So I should leave original 16x16 16 colours icons, right? Like this Image ?
As written before, red colour is used for all the vector formats: EPS, AI, EPS, ...
OK, this is a good reason.
All RGB colours and formats used are listed in one of my previous posts.
But I meant colours used in the browser (not icon colours).
Before continuing you should check what your large icons look like. The blue colour in BMP looks good, but what about the other colours? E.g. pink, light green? Perhaps you can place one or two more samples here.
OK

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8172
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: New iconset for 1.75

Post by helmut » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:10 pm

Dreamer wrote:IconCool Editor is shareware (more here), I didn't find any freeware icon editor with multi-format icon support.
It's already very good to have a usable icon editor at all. Shareware is fine.
Dreamer wrote:So I should leave original 16x16 16 colours icons, right? Like this Image ?
Yes. Think 99,9% of the people will never see these icons. (Note: Sample icon above is enlarged).
Dreamer wrote:
All RGB colours and formats used are listed in one of my previous posts.
But I meant colours used in the browser (not icon colours).
Just double-checked and found that I've posted only some of the colours. Here's the full list:

Code: Select all

jpeg: RGB( 237, 237, 202 )
gif:  RGB( 220, 235, 220 )
png:  RGB( 232, 222, 220 )
bmp:  RGB( 227, 227, 255 )
tiff: RGB( 192, 197, 235 )
tga:  RGB( 230, 255, 255 )
iff:  RGB( 247, 235, 235 )
sgi:  RGB( 247, 237, 242 )
pcx:  RGB( 235, 230, 230 )
psd:  RGB( 255, 255, 227 )
pcd:  RGB( 235, 215, 235 )
psp:  RGB( 237, 208, 163 )
pict: RGB( 202, 202, 255 )
xpm:  RGB( 242, 227, 277 )
xbm:  RGB( 216, 216, 216 )
pbm:  RGB( 191, 191, 182 )
pgm:  RGB( 207, 207, 197 )
ppm:  RGB( 235, 225, 159 )
ras:  RGB( 255, 255, 227 )
wmf:  RGB( 187, 187, 187 )
emf:  RGB( 212, 212, 212 )
ico:  RGB( 217, 247, 227 )
cur:  RGB( 217, 247, 227 )
ani:  RGB( 217, 247, 227 )
fpx:  RGB( 229, 255, 255 )
Dreamer wrote:
Before continuing you should check what your large icons look like. The blue colour in BMP looks good, but what about the other colours? E.g. pink, light green? Perhaps you can place one or two more samples here.
OK
Good.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Image - not so bad I think...

Edit:
Just double-checked and found that I've posted only some of the colours. Here's the full list: ...
Thanks, misunderstanding, sorry.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8172
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:43 pm

Dreamer wrote:Image - not so bad I think...
It's "o.k.". Let's make a poll! (just joking ;-) ).

Honestly, for me the info that a file is an image is sufficient, I do not need the format information in the icon. If I do want to know the format there's always the file extension. (I strongly recommend everybody to deactivate the appropriate option 'Hide file extension for known files' in MS Explorer). The colouring is rather irritating than helping. This "feeling" applies for all icon sizes.
But this is just my opinion, and I'm just a normal user, not a graphic power user. (Hmm, aren't most people using XnView are normal users?)

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:35 pm

helmut wrote:Honestly, for me the info that a file is an image is sufficient, I do not need the format information in the icon. If I do want to know the format there's always the file extension. (I strongly recommend everybody to deactivate the appropriate option 'Hide file extension for known files' in MS Explorer). The colouring is rather irritating than helping. This "feeling" applies for all icon sizes.
But this is just my opinion, and I'm just a normal user, not a graphic power user. (Hmm, aren't most people using XnView are normal users?)
I'm a normal user too, but I still think colouring might be useful...
E.g. if there are many jpg images in a folder (and there are many folders) and you need to find bmp images (if you need convert them to jpg) colouring would be very useful I think...
Maybe some option "show general icon for all images" in xnview would be suitable.

...What now? Can I finish "colour" icons? Is there a way to use two iconsets in xnview?

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8172
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:42 pm

Dreamer wrote:...What now? Can I finish "colour" icons? Is there a way to use two iconsets in xnview?
You might be right saying that colour is helpful. Think we should wait a bit and see what other people think.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:17 pm

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:...What now? Can I finish "colour" icons? Is there a way to use two iconsets in xnview?
You might be right saying that colour is helpful. Think we should wait a bit and see what other people think.
Why not look back?
Olivier_G wrote:I also believe that some standards Colors (depending on filetype) would help to handle quickly them as well.
Carlos' Iconset uses large colour icons too.

ckv wants colour icons too, probably, reason - ckv's Dreamer mod

And finally you :wink:
helmut wrote:Sure enough introducing colouring and making minor changes for the larger icons is o.k..
Note: Large 48x48 icons above (esp. iff and pic) are the worst looking icons, it's just an example... Also "normal" users will not have many different formats in one folder so it will look better then.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8172
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:...What now? Can I finish "colour" icons? Is there a way to use two iconsets in xnview?
You might be right saying that colour is helpful. Think we should wait a bit and see what other people think.
Why not look back?
You're right. Still I like to wait a bit (1-2 days). Other people might join the discussion...
Dreamer wrote:And finally you
helmut wrote:Sure enough introducing colouring and making minor changes for the larger icons is o.k..
.... and some people might make up their mind ;-)
Dreamer wrote:Note: Large 48x48 icons above (esp. iff and pic) are the worst looking icons, it's just an example... Also "normal" users will not have many different formats in one folder so it will look better then.
Think you're right, again. Let's wait 1-2 days and see.

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

I'm back

Post by ckv » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:49 pm

Image
What about making 32 x 32 icons more ssssexy. See the difference. Maybe it needs little polish.
Dreamer wrote:ckv wants colour icons too, probably, reason - ckv's Dreamer mod
YES.JPG :mrgreen:

Edit: Quick polish
Image
The problem on making these are that you can always make one good looking icon and when you try to use different colors... Well you guys know what I mean :wink:

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: I'm back

Post by Dreamer » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:39 pm

ckv wrote:Image
What about making 32 x 32 icons more ssssexy. See the difference. Maybe it needs little polish.
I agree, but there is no time. I think we need even more colours and some effects, shades...
ckv wrote:
Dreamer wrote:ckv wants colour icons too, probably, reason - ckv's Dreamer mod
YES.JPG :mrgreen:

Edit: Quick polish
Image
The problem on making these are that you can always make one good looking icon and when you try to use different colors... Well you guys know what I mean :wink:
Colour iconset done - check it out (thanks again Helmut).

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Post by ckv » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:59 am

My last touch (To this iconset)
Image
http://koti.mbnet.fi/ckv/files/offset/Iconset-3003.zip (thanks to Helmut & Dreamer)

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

ckv simplify iconset

Post by ckv » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:43 pm

Heres my Simplify iconset for XnView (thanks to Helmut & Dreamer). :D This isn't "official" I just thought that someone might be interested.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8172
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Post by helmut » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:49 pm

Thank you, ckv and Dreamer for continuously making more suggestions and drafts. The first release candidate of the new version will be out soon, so we should make a cut and use one of the versions that we already have (no need to hurry).

ckv, what's the difference between Dreamer's Colour iconset done and your http://koti.mbnet.fi/ckv/files/offset/Iconset-3003.zip?

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8172
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: I'm back

Post by helmut » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:59 pm

As written above, the new version will be out, soon. Since there will be versions after 1.75, we can continue discussion if we want. If needed, parts of our posts can be split into a new topic.
ckv wrote:Image
What about making 32 x 32 icons more ssssexy. See the difference. Maybe it needs little polish.
I like your draft (middle and right icon). The XnView logo on the left looks tame, the other ones are more impulsive and have more energy. It needs some polishing though, especially some of the satellite pixels (pixels that are all alone) should be removed to make it look a bit less "wild".

For the "bmp" you have taken the font of the large icons (48x48) which looks more fancy. I think that this font is a bit harder to read, so I'd prefer the old one.

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Post by ckv » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:18 am

helmut wrote:ckv, what's the difference between...
Hmmm. Maybe I need bigger picture to demonstrate the difference :D

Image

Post Reply