Iconset for XnView 1.75

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: 'Modern' document type icons

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:My guess is that it will be a bit hard to distinguish the colours. Increasing saturation of the colours a bit might help.
I think it's not the best solution, because there would be 3 different colous - for 16x16 16 colours icons, for other icons and for browser.

Read also my post above, on page 3.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:My guess is that it will be a bit hard to distinguish the colours. Increasing saturation of the colours a bit might help.
I think it's not the best solution, because there would be 3 different colous - for 16x16 16 colours icons, for other icons and for browser.
Think when keeping the tone of the colour and changing the lightness and saturation of the colour, only, one still will see which colour belongs to which format. The hard bit is to find a good solution.
Dreamer wrote:Another option is to change the colours in the browser to:

- appropriate light colours
- dark colours - same as icon colours (change of the font colour to light is needed)
- both - light and dark colours
Darker colours in the browser will look very ugly, since the items in the browser are large in size compared to the icons. Imagine what it would look like if all the items where fire red... :shock:
Not sure what you mean with the other two options (appropriate light colours & both - light and dark colours).

Note:
We are about creating the longest thread we ever had in this newsgroup.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:Darker colours in the browser will look very ugly, since the items in the browser are large in size compared to the icons. Imagine what it would look like if all the items where fire red... :shock:
OK, agree.
helmut wrote:Not sure what you mean with the other two options (appropriate light colours & both - light and dark colours).
appropriate light colours means the same what you want too - below
helmut wrote:Think when keeping the tone of the colour and changing the lightness and saturation of the colour, only, one still will see which colour belongs to which format. The hard bit is to find a good solution.
I agree.

I just think we should use the icons colours as the base, not the browser colours - so the number of the used colours would be 2, not 3
helmut wrote:Note:
And we're still talking about small 16x16 icons only :wink:
helmut

Post by helmut »

So we are very clear on what we want and agree on most/all things. At the moment I have very little time, so it might still take a while till I try to find a good solution regarding the colouring. Let's see. If someone else wants to try, just go for it.
Dreamer wrote:I just think we should use the icons colours as the base, not the browser colours - so the number of the used colours would be 2, not 3
2 colours? 3 colours? I don't understand what you mean.
Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:Note:
And we're still talking about small 16x16 icons only :wink:
Yes, luckily only the 16x16 ones... :-)
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:So we are very clear on what we want and agree on most/all things. At the moment I have very little time, so it might still take a while till I try to find a good solution regarding the colouring. Let's see. If someone else wants to try, just go for it.
Dreamer wrote:I just think we should use the icons colours as the base, not the browser colours - so the number of the used colours would be 2, not 3
2 colours? 3 colours? I don't understand what you mean.
I meant 2 / 3 different colours per format (for 16 colour 16x16 icons, other icons and browser).

So, if we would use 'standard colours' (like here) for all icons and also for browser, just brighter, we would have practically just one colour per format.

We must just find the best way for creating 'brighter' colours.

Important is also if those new 'brighter' colours could be used in browser - if Pierre could (and want) change them?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:I meant 2 / 3 different colours per format (for 16 colour 16x16 icons, other icons and browser).
I understand now.
Dreamer wrote:..
Perhaps first we might try the other way round:
For the browser colours we can try to find appropriate colours for the icons. This can be achieved by increasing saturation of the colour (and perhaps making the images darker).
Important is also if those new 'brighter' colours could be used in browser - if Pierre could (and want) change them?
If there is a good solution available Pierre will use it.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:..
Perhaps first we might try the other way round:
For the browser colours we can try to find appropriate colours for the icons. This can be achieved by increasing saturation of the colour (and perhaps making the images darker).
But this is exactly an option wih 3 different colours per format.

So first, we must choose what colours will be used as the base - browser or 16x16 16 colour icons? Any ideas (and reason why) ?
helmut

New iconset for 1.75

Post by helmut »

We had long discussions and are pretty clear what we want. XnView 1.75 is not far away, so I think it's time to make a cut and make things real.

I have created a new version of the iconset (hmu2503a). Many suggestions discussed before are not implemented in this iconset. Yet, I think this iconset is much better than the one of 1.74. We Germans say "It's better to have a sparrow in the hand than a dove on the roof.".

In the iconset there are various formats. For the vector formats, I have used colour red. The other colours are mixed and don't have much to do with the colours used in the browser.

Apart from the icons for specific formats, there is on "general" icon without any format information.

If you think there's an important format missing, please let me know, adding more additional formats is not much work.

Comments and feedback still welcome (as always).
Last edited by helmut on Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Olivier_G
XnThusiast

Post by Olivier_G »

Looks fine to me.
Maybe a generic "RAW" format for the various RAWs of digital cameras (Canon crw+thm and cr2, Nikon nef, Olympus orf, Minolta mrw, Pentax pef, Sony srf, Sigma x3f, Kodak dcr, etc...) although I don't think that all of them are already implemented in xnview.

Olivier
helmut

Post by helmut »

Hello Olivier et al,

haven't seen many people in the newsgroup around, lately, so it's a real surprise to get an immediate feedback. :-)
Olivier_G wrote:Looks fine to me.
Maybe a generic "RAW" format for the various RAWs of digital cameras (Canon crw+thm and cr2, Nikon nef, Olympus orf, Minolta mrw, Pentax pef, Sony srf, Sigma x3f, Kodak dcr, etc...) although I don't think that all of them are already implemented in xnview.
I've just added a "generic Raw" icon (black) and an EPS (red). Here's the latest version of the iconset with Raw and EPS (hmu2503b).

At the moment it's not clear to me how these icons are registered and whether several formats can map to one icon, but I think so.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: New iconset for 1.75

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:I have created a new version of the iconset (hmu2503a)
Nice, but I'm not sure about the 4 same red icons, maybe black or orange (xnview) would be better...
helmut wrote:Many suggestions discussed before are not implemented in this iconset. Yet, I think this iconset is much better than the one of 1.74. We Germans say "It's better to have a sparrow in the hand than a dove on the roof.".
Same here :wink:

I think "colouring" also for larger icons would be nice too...
Where is the problem? No suitable application? No time?
I could do it too if time is a problem, I just need an application for it...
helmut wrote:If you think there's an important format missing, please let me know, adding more additional formats is not much work.
Maybe orange sld for xnview slide show files?
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer et al,
Dreamer wrote:I think "colouring" also for larger icons would be nice too...
Where is the problem? No suitable application? No time?
I could do it too if time is a problem, I just need an application for it...
as written in my previous post, I think it's important to have a solution available for the 1.75, which will be available, soon. And the result is already reasonable, I think.

I'm not a designer and have limited time at the moment. You (or other people) can try and go for more...

Icon tools
- I've used Microangelo for changing the icons.

- You cannot use Axialis Icon Designer 5.0:
When saving the icons using Axialis Icon Designer, the custom colour palette of the 16 colour icons is reset to standard palette. I've contacted Axialis support and they say that this format is not supported and that I should use another format. :-|

- The original icon designer of the XnView icons must have used another icon tool, as written above Axialis fails when saving 16 colour icons with custom palette and Microangelo does not allow for editing the custom palette.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:I'm not a designer and have limited time at the moment. You (or other people) can try and go for more...
I want to try, but I need some freeware (or shareware, if possible) software.

I just want to add colouring to larger icons too, like this Image Image
I don't want to change any icons (look, xnview logo...).

Any ideas?
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:I'm not a designer and have limited time at the moment. You (or other people) can try and go for more...
I just want to add colouring to larger icons too, like this Image Image
Done, with IconCool Editor - result - 2 icons.
The only difference is in 16x16 16 colours icons:
Image bmp 16x16 16c org.ico - no change, no new colours used
Image bmp 16x16 16c orange.ico - same as 16x16 256 colours icon

Please tell me what icon I should use for other icons, I can create all icons (add colouring to larger icons).
Is there any reason why yellow and red colours are used instead of orange colour in the original (your) icons?

Could you tell me also why there are 4 icons with the same red colour, is there any reason for that? I'd prefer black colour for that...

Should I add any icon? Should I change any colours? I don't have all types of images, so I can't see all browser colours, could you tell me where I can find all types of "used" images, please? (This is not very important, of course). Thank you.
Last edited by Dreamer on Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:Done, with IconCool Editor - result - 2 icons.
The only difference is in 16x16 16 colours icons:
bmp 16x16 16c org.ico - no change, no new colours used
bmp 16x16 16c orange.ico - same as 16x16 256 colours icon
Good that you've found an icon editor which could edit the icons properly, as written before Microangelo and Axialis Icon Studio both had limitations. Would be perfect if IconCool Editor was Shareware, but Microangelo and Axialis aren't Freeware either.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense to provide a 16 colour format which does not include the 16 standard colours. This has been done for the 32x32pixel icons before, you are now about introducing this for the 16x16 colours, also. Does anybody know whether there are limitations on Windows systems with these icon formats? What does it look like on a 256 colour Windows system?
Dreamer wrote:Please tell me what icon I should use for other icons, I can create all icons (add colouring to larger icons).

Could you tell me also why there are 4 icons with the same red colour, is there any reason for that? I'd prefer black colour for that...
As written before, red colour is used for all the vector formats: EPS, AI, EPS, ...
Dreamer wrote:Should I add any icon? Should I change any colours?
Before continuing you should check what your large icons look like. The blue colour in BMP looks good, but what about the other colours? E.g. pink, light green? Perhaps you can place one or two more samples here.
Dreamer wrote:I don't have all types of images, so I can't see all browser colours, could you tell me where I can find all types of "used" images, please? (This is not very important, of course). Thank you.
All RGB colours and formats used are listed in one of my previous posts.