[solved] Selection changes in thumbnail view after rotation

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Anika

[solved] Selection changes in thumbnail view after rotation

Post by Anika »

I guess I found a bug:
I sort the files in a folder by properties to get together the files in portrait format. Now I select these pictures (e.g. 6) in thumbnail view. I rotate the files with lossless rotation by 90° left. The view order of the pictures is changed because the properties have changed. Now the first 6 pictures in order are selected and not the 6 pictures I have changed before. This happens only in thumbnail view. In detail view the order is not changed because the properties are not updated after rotation.
So, there are two problems: 1. In thumbnail view the selection should not be changed. 2. In detail view the properties should be updated.
I hope these chages can take effect in the next release.
Best regards,
Anika
Last edited by Anika on Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
XnView 2.04, 2.13 Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 64bit
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: selection changes in thumbnail view after rotation

Post by xnview »

Anika wrote:I guess I found a bug:
I sort the files in a folder by properties to get together the files in portrait format. Now I select these pictures (e.g. 6) in thumbnail view. I rotate the files with lossless rotation by 90° left. The view order of the pictures is changed because the properties have changed. Now the first 6 pictures in order are selected and not the 6 pictures I have changed before. This happens only in thumbnail view. In detail view the order is not changed because the properties are not updated after rotation.
So, there are two problems: 1. In thumbnail view the selection should not be changed. 2. In detail view the properties should be updated.
I hope these chages can take effect in the next release.
I can't reproduce the bug in thumbnail view, i've tried with win 2K & 1.74 too.
Someone has the problem too?
Pierre.
Lostclown

Post by Lostclown »

I really tried for more than whole 10 minutes to regenerate this, but only managed to generate problem number 2! (Using version 1.74 on XP)

Possibly some settings that could trigger this?

Anika, perhaps you can provide more detailed instruction how to generate problem 1. This sounds like a rather nasty bug, that would be good to get rid of.

Regards,
Lostclown
Anika

Post by Anika »

I tried it on my laptop at work and with 1.74 and RC4 there is the same problem. At home the RC4 does not show this problem. Very strange. Both computers run with Win2000 SP4. But I recognize that the sorting by date of folders is different on the computers.

Again a guideline to reproduce it:
I open a folder with 7 pictures in the picture browser in thumbnail view. The pictures 1 and 3 are portrait size.
I arrange by image size and
Now the pictures are sorted: 1 3 2 4 5 6 7. The bold pictures are selected to rotate.
I transform them by lossless rotation 90°left.
Now the pictures are sorted: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. The selection seems to save the position and not the filename. When I rotate back the pictures 1 and 3 the selctions change from
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 to
1 3 2 4 5 6 7

My aim is to rotate to and fro many portrait size images that seem to have got corrupted by the autorotation of the Casio PhotoLoader. Now I make it in detail view. This is better for selection and hasn't this problem.
Lostclown

Post by Lostclown »

I tried my best to reproduce this, but without success. (good or bad ? :))
The selection was always correct on my system, even though rotating the images caused them to be ordered differently than before rotating.

Running on a fresh install of version 1.74 on XP.
My best guess is that this bug is triggered by some settings of XnView.

Regards,
Lostclown
Anika

Post by Anika »

I deinstalled XnView completely on my home computer and reinstalled it with installer and now the sorting and highlighting problem is gone.
Thanks Lostclown for the hint with the settings.