Not able to read scanned PDF file

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

PkSiggi

Not able to read scanned PDF file

Postby PkSiggi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I have the last update but am still not able to read previously scanned files that were saved as PDF files with XnView Classic version 2.41
I have checked the supported format and PDF is listed as Read Yes / Write Yes. Since XnView saved this file, why am I not able to read them?
I my File properties it lists the Type as Unknown. Why?
How can I read PDF with XnView?
Thank you.

cday
XnThusiast

Re: Not able to read scanned PDF file

Postby cday » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

PkSiggi wrote:I have the last update but am still not able to read previously scanned files that were saved as PDF files with XnView Classic version 2.41
I have checked the supported format and PDF is listed as Read Yes / Write Yes. Since XnView saved this file, why am I not able to read them?
I my File properties it lists the Type as Unknown. Why?
How can I read PDF with XnView?

You have Ghostscript installed do you, 32-bit even on 64-bit Windows as XnView Classic is 32-bit software?

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Postby XnTriq » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Welcome to the forum, PkSiggi.

Please let us know if the wiki article about Ghostscript leaves any questions unanswered.

PkSiggi

Postby PkSiggi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:51 pm

XnTriq wrote:Welcome to the forum, PkSiggi.

Please let us know if the wiki article about Ghostscript leaves any questions unanswered.

I did install Ghostscript but nothing has changed. My settings are all with checkmarks in Tool/Options/File List/File List, but the File Type in my browser shows Unknown for PDF files. This has been the case since I first purchased XnView and has not changed for many years. I love this program and donated for the development but am not able to read PDF. I have Windows 10 Pro with all updates.
I keep getting the message ( Format of the file <name.pdf> could not be determined.
As the message suggests, I checked the Options>General>[x]Display all image file types.

All are [x] but it is not working.

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Postby XnTriq » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Since you're using XnView Classic, you need the 32-bit edition of Ghostscript.

Could you please check which version of Ghostscript is installed?
This information can be obtained by opening C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\doc\News.htm or by entering HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript into the address bar of the registry editor on Windows 10.

If everything else fails, you could give AFPL Ghostscript v8 (instead of AGPL Ghostscript v9) a try.

rolf1704 (Cannot open some PDF files) wrote:I have Windows 7, XnView 2.13 and GPL Ghostscript 9.10 all in 32bit-versions. I did some testing an found out, that everything works fine if I use the old AFPL Ghostscript 8.54. I do not know where the differences are, but for now I have a workaround.

PkSiggi

Postby PkSiggi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Thank you, I did install your suggested Ghostscript 32 bit 8.54 and at last I am able to read my PDF in XnView.
Thanks

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Postby XnTriq » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:30 pm

PkSiggi wrote:Thank you, I did install your suggested Ghostscript 32 bit 8.54 and at last I am able to read my PDF in XnView.
Thanks

Great news! Thanks for reporting back, PkSiggi :-)
I'll add this information to the wiki.

Return to “Classic - General Support”