Not able to read scanned PDF file

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

PkSiggi

Not able to read scanned PDF file

Post by PkSiggi »

I have the last update but am still not able to read previously scanned files that were saved as PDF files with XnView Classic version 2.41
I have checked the supported format and PDF is listed as Read Yes / Write Yes. Since XnView saved this file, why am I not able to read them?
I my File properties it lists the Type as Unknown. Why?
How can I read PDF with XnView?
Thank you.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Not able to read scanned PDF file

Post by cday »

PkSiggi wrote:I have the last update but am still not able to read previously scanned files that were saved as PDF files with XnView Classic version 2.41
I have checked the supported format and PDF is listed as Read Yes / Write Yes. Since XnView saved this file, why am I not able to read them?
I my File properties it lists the Type as Unknown. Why?
How can I read PDF with XnView?
You have Ghostscript installed do you, 32-bit even on 64-bit Windows as XnView Classic is 32-bit software?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, PkSiggi.

Please let us know if the wiki article about Ghostscript leaves any questions unanswered.
PkSiggi

Post by PkSiggi »

XnTriq wrote:Welcome to the forum, PkSiggi.

Please let us know if the wiki article about Ghostscript leaves any questions unanswered.
I did install Ghostscript but nothing has changed. My settings are all with checkmarks in Tool/Options/File List/File List, but the File Type in my browser shows Unknown for PDF files. This has been the case since I first purchased XnView and has not changed for many years. I love this program and donated for the development but am not able to read PDF. I have Windows 10 Pro with all updates.
I keep getting the message ( Format of the file <name.pdf> could not be determined.
As the message suggests, I checked the Options>General>[x]Display all image file types.

All are [x] but it is not working.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Since you're using XnView Classic, you need the 32-bit edition of Ghostscript.

Could you please check which version of Ghostscript is installed?
This information can be obtained by opening C:\Program Files (x86)\gs\doc\News.htm or by entering HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GPL Ghostscript into the address bar of the registry editor on Windows 10.

If everything else fails, you could give AFPL Ghostscript v8 (instead of AGPL Ghostscript v9) a try.
rolf1704 ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=117489#p117489]Cannot open some PDF files[/url]) wrote:I have Windows 7, XnView 2.13 and GPL Ghostscript 9.10 all in 32bit-versions. I did some testing an found out, that everything works fine if I use the old AFPL Ghostscript 8.54. I do not know where the differences are, but for now I have a workaround.
PkSiggi

Post by PkSiggi »

Thank you, I did install your suggested Ghostscript 32 bit 8.54 and at last I am able to read my PDF in XnView.
Thanks
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

PkSiggi wrote:Thank you, I did install your suggested Ghostscript 32 bit 8.54 and at last I am able to read my PDF in XnView.
Thanks
Great news! Thanks for reporting back, PkSiggi :-)
I'll add this information to the wiki.
bliss

Post by bliss »

PkSiggi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm Thank you, I did install your suggested Ghostscript 32 bit 8.54 and at last I am able to read my PDF in XnView.
Thanks
Im wondering if this is still an issue or has been rectified?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bliss wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:52 am
PkSiggi wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm Thank you, I did install your suggested Ghostscript 32 bit 8.54 and at last I am able to read my PDF in XnView.
Thanks
I'm wondering if this is still an issue or has been rectified?

I think the solution posted above, as I understand it using a different download of nominally the same GS version, is not an on-going issue. There have, however, following changes in GS been more recent issues with compatibility between certain xnview software versions and certain GS versions, hopefully now resolved.

Do you have a problem, and if so which versions of XnView Classic and GS do you have installed, and is 'ignore read errors' checked?

Are you unable to open scans from XnView, or unable to open any PDF files?