Limit while generating thumbnails from folder with > 10,000 pictures?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xxnner

Limit while generating thumbnails from folder with > 10,000 pictures?

Post by xxnner »

Hello,
there is a problem while generating thumbnails / preview pictures in XnView (v2.44 licensed):
If target folder contains many files (approximately > 10,000 .TIF in a faxin folder), generating thumbnails stops after some time and XnView freezes. Terminating of XnView process by taskmanager is necessary :( Other folders with less files are processed without problems, thumbnails are generated. Issue has been evaluated on different Windows machines.

So, is there a (numeral) limit for generating thumbnails in one folder, and how to bypass this limit?

Thx and regards!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Limit while generating thumbnails from folder with > 10,000 pictures?

Post by xnview »

yes, all thumbnails are loaded in memory, so you are limited by around 2.5Gb
Pierre.
xxnner

Post by xxnner »

Good evening,
I did check: the ~10.000 .TIF files require about 1 Gb space on hdd, and there are 64bit Windows systems used with 32 Gb and 64 Gb memory, much enough, isn't it?
So, why is XNview freezing while creating thumbnails/ previews from this directory?
Thx once more + regards
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:46 pm yes, all thumbnails are loaded in memory, so you are limited by around 2.5Gb
xxnner wrote:
I did check: the ~10,000 .TIF files require about 1 Gb space on hdd, and there are 64bit Windows systems used with 32 Gb and 64 Gb memory, much enough, isn't it?

So, why is XnView freezing while creating thumbnails/ previews from this directory?
The problem I believe is that XnView Classic is 32-bit software, and the thumbnail limit is set by the amount of ram that can be addressed...

You could possibly try XnView MP 64-bit which as 64-bit software can address much more ram, or you might be able to load more thumbnails if you are able to reduce the thumbnail pixel dimensions, I'm not sure.
xxnner

Post by xxnner »

cday wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:12 pm You could possibly try XnView MP 64-bit which as 64-bit software can address much more ram, or you might be able to load more thumbnails if you are able to reduce the thumbnail pixel dimensions, I'm not sure.
Ok, i did give XnViewMP 64-bit v0.9 a try and it works... :D
About 20.000 .TIF files in one (!) directory had been converted to thumbnails/ preview, no freezing.
For .PDF preview a 64bit version of ghostscript is needed.

XNviewMP superseeds 'XNview classic'?

Is there any regression in features/ functions?

Thx + best regards.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xxnner wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 am For .PDF preview a 64bit version of Ghostscript is needed.
Yes, 64-bit software normally requires 64-bit add-ons and plug-ins.

XnView MP supersedes 'XnView Classic'?

Is there any regression in features/ functions?
XnView MP, being cross-platform with Unicode support and a new modern interface with enhanced browser functions, and also available as 64-bit software which was relevant for you, is seen as the future... :D

Although the function set is now almost complete, there are some detailed interface changes; overall probably best to have both versions installed for now, and see how you get on with 'MP.