Make XnView use the same order of files as in folder

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Zusurs

Make XnView use the same order of files as in folder

Post by Zusurs »

Hello!

I switched to XnView some time ago, because Win10 buil-in photo viewer sucks. For most parts I really like XnView - it's fast, easy to use, has a lot of usable features. Back in the Windows XP/7 days I was using default Photo nad Fax viewer app, that allowed me to open any picture in the folder, and then use Left/Right arrow keys to go to next/previous file in the folder.

XnView, of course, also has navigation with arrow keys or menu bar buttons, BUT - it seems that XnView always uses Alphabetic order, regardless of what sorting order is set in the particular folder, from wich picture was opened. Sometimes it's really annoying, as I have folder open next to XnView, but the order of thumbnails in the folder doesn't match the order of photos when navigating left/right in XnView.

Is there any chance to implement this feature (for XnView to use the same picture order as in respective folder), or maybe this is already available, hidden somewhere in settings? I'm sure that it's possible to honor the file order in source folder, because most other file/image viewers does that.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Make XnView use the same order of files as in folder

Post by xnview »

XnView has his own sort order, you can change it in View>Sort by
Pierre.
Zusurs

Post by Zusurs »

Isn't there any way to get the sort order of the folder? Because, as I mentioned, some other viewers allows to navigate back/forward between files in the folder, and does it based on the file order in the folder.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Zusurs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 am Isn't there any way to get the sort order of the folder? Because, as I mentioned, some other viewers allows to navigate back/forward between files in the folder, and does it based on the file order in the folder.
sorry but i don't understand? you can navigate between files from the folder
Pierre.
blob

Post by blob »

i have the same issue and there no darn order to be set and im super frustrated that this simple feature is gone.
Attachments
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

In the file browser you have View > Sort by with various options, could you confirm that using those options you are unable to get the result you need?