Batch rename w/ complex patterns

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Mrk_Hbnr

Batch rename w/ complex patterns

Post by Mrk_Hbnr »

Hi guys,

I just downloaded XnView so this might be a dull one:

I am looking for a way to batch rename 600+ images currently all named 20000######.jpg.
My problem is, that each and every image has to be named more or less completely different from the others.
Ex:
Image 20000130369.jpg needs to be called B0746XD3XJ.MAIN.jpg, while 20000136327.jpg is supposed to be named B0746XD3XJ.PT01.jpg.
Therefore I cannot simply type in 'sample######' into the batch rename command.
2nd problem would be that there are only 600+ images but approx. 2500+ new names to be given (some images are required to have different names)

On the bright side I have an excel sheet in which I have listed all images + all new names I need.

Is there any way that I can use this excelsheet combined with XnView to solve my problem? I really don't want to rename each image individually :D

Looking forward to your tips.

Best,
Mark
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Batch rename w/ complex patterns

Post by cday »

Mrk_Hbnr wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:57 am I am looking for a way to batch rename 600+ images currently all named 20000######.jpg.

My problem is, that each and every image has to be named more or less completely different from the others.

On the bright side I have an Excel sheet in which I have listed all images + all new names I need.

Is there any way that I can use this Excel sheet combined with XnView to solve my problem?

Very unlikely using XnView as far as I know...

I really don't want to rename each image individually :D
Quite... :D

I think there should be ways to do what you need programmatically: outside my experience, I suggest you post on some of the programming forums...
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I've just done a very quick Google search using "rename files excel" and lower down in the results there look to be examples of the sort of programmatic solutions I had in mind, but at a very quick look there may actually be a utility available that could do what you need, or it may even be possible to do it directly in Excel somehow??
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Mark (-:
Mrk_Hbnr wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:57 amIs there any way that I can use this excelsheet combined with XnView to solve my problem? I really don't want to rename each image individually :D