Questions about star ratings

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

airflow

Questions about star ratings

Post by airflow »

Hello,

I am trying out XnView to check if it fulfills my simple needs. I tried to use XnView but failed, so please allow me my following questions:

I need a simple image/photo viewer, which does the following things:

* display the photos in fullscreen
* offers the possibility to rate the photos using the 0-5 star system, and stores these ratings in the exif-data of the pictures themselves (not in some db). I am referring to the exif-data which is the quasi-standard and used my camera-makers already in the camera itself (like Canon & Sony support it) and the file-viewer of Windows 10 (properties of pictures shows these ratings).
* also offers the possibility to quickly delete photos when needed (from the filesystem)

These are quite simple requirements, but I fail to find a program which achieves this. When I do ratings with XnView-Software, I have two issues - first, it seems to save them to a separate db, not the picture itself. Secondly, when it does save it in the picture, it rewrites the complete image, resulting in quite different filesize. Of course I want the program only to touch the exif-data, not the real picture-data.

Is this possible with XnView?

Thanks,
airflow
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Questions about star ratings

Post by cday »

airflow wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:23 pm I am trying out XnView to check if it fulfills my simple needs. I tried to use XnView but failed, so please allow me my following questions:

I need a simple image/photo viewer, which does the following things:
* Displays the photos in fullscreen...
Yes, but there has periodically been discussion about the detailed operation of the fullscreen mode.

* Offers the possibility to rate the photos using the 0-5 star system.
Yes.

* Stores these ratings in the exif-data of the pictures themselves (not in some db). I am referring to the exif-data which is the quasi-standard and used my camera-makers already in the camera itself (like Canon & Sony support it) and the file-viewer of Windows 10 (properties of pictures shows these ratings).
I don't know, I don't use star ratings, but someone will know... michel038? :D

* Offers the possibility to quickly delete photos when needed (from the filesystem)
Yes, in the browser.

These are quite simple requirements, but I fail to find a program which achieves this. When I do ratings with XnView-Software, I have two issues - first, it seems to save them to a separate db, not the picture itself. Secondly, when it does save it in the picture, it rewrites the complete image, resulting in quite different filesize. Of course I want the program only to touch the exif-data, not the real picture-data.
A question for you:

If you have installed XnView Classic (v2.45 current version), have you also looked at XnView MP, which has been under more active development with respect to the file browser, and is probably the better option looking to the future...

Notes:

My comments refer specifically to XnView MP, but are also likely to be applicable in most or all respects to XnView Classic.

And Pierre has in the past been very responsive to reasonable requests to enhance the functionality of his software... :D
airflow

Post by airflow »

Thanks for your answer!

I tested XnView Classic, not XnView MP.

For the record, and to give something back to the internet/community, in the meanwhile I found a solution to my problem. If ever somebody is searching for the same thing like me, these two programs (both free) achieve the goal: http://www.exifpro.com/ and https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/ap ... /download/

Have a nice evening!
airflow
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

About star rating with xnview classic, the author answered
XnView Classic use a database to store rating, and can't change the XMP
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37832&hilit=star

You can use ratings with xnViewMP
- xnviewmp reads/writes rating in XMP metadata fields : XMP:XMP-xmp:Rating and XMP:XMP-microsoft:RatingPercent
ratings are also stored in database, so filtering is very convenient. (color labels idem)

but
- A long time ago, ratings were written in exif metadata ( EXIF:IFD0:Rating and EXIF:IFD0:RatingPercent ) and xnviewmp doesn't read them
- I think ratings do not exist in IPTC metadata
- bugs occured with Nikon capture NX2
- Adobe (?) sometimes (?) wrote xmp:xmp-xap:rating which is not read by other softwares
- windows explorer seems able to read/write both exif and xmp ratings
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Another related topic: Terminology of rating system