no thumbnails and video playback in preview

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

gummiband

no thumbnails and video playback in preview

Post by gummiband »

hello,

since recently xnview stopped displaying thumbnails and i only hear the audio from videos in the preview pane without the video being displayed (black square instead). opening the video in its own tab works as intended.

using:
xnview 2.45 portable version
win 10 64bit
k-lite 14.5.2 ffdshow (installation of this may fall together with the loss of playback/preview functionality)

any idea/suggestion on how to start debugging this?
Last edited by gummiband on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: no thumbnails and video playback in preview

Post by xnview »

and what you have changed since the problem?
Pierre.
gummiband

Post by gummiband »

I have reinstalled the codec pack, no change.
I have reinstalled XnView, no change. However, preview and playback with the internal player worked exactly for one time, directly after the installation. I can delete and reinstall, but apparently i have to use a different folder each time in order to have it working, and this is only works for the first program start.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

avi, mkv or mov?
Pierre.
gummiband

Post by gummiband »

the problem files?
.mp4 .avi .mkv and .mov
those are the immediate ones that i have access to, but i suspect all video files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and in options>Filelist, you have the checkbox for video?
Pierre.
gummiband

Post by gummiband »

yes, and i did not change it. it used to work, but something made it stop working. i have uncheck and recheck the box in the process of debugging, but no effect.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

if you hear audio, so for me it's a codec problem
Pierre.
gummiband

Post by gummiband »

ok, so you say that peripheral codecs, the ones not native to xnview, are somehow messed up, right?
is there a possibility to tell xnview to always use the internal codecs?
i see a bunch of DLLs in the plugins folder, is it possible some file became incompatible with Win10 during a normal microsoft patch cycle?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

there is no internal video codec on XnView Classic
Pierre.
slyarxon

Post by slyarxon »

Hello,

I had a similar problem some time ago that i posted about in details here : viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37758

The issue was apparently with my graphics card driver if this can help you. I'm still lookling for a fix today, I kinda gave upas long as I could get back my old driver but recently windows forced my drivers to be updated so I'm back looking for a solution.

@Pierre: is there a way to change the internal video player in XnView classic ? I saw some posts about it for the MP version (which has more problems on my side), so i was thinking about trying it out as I had no issues with other players using mp4 codecs (I've tried multiple players that were using my K-lite codecs to make sure).

Kind regards,
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

slyarxon wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 pm @Pierre: is there a way to change the internal video player in XnView classic ? I saw some posts about it for the MP version (which has more problems on my side), so i was thinking about trying it out as I had no issues with other players using mp4 codecs (I've tried multiple players that were using my K-lite codecs to make sure).
On XnView Classic, the only way is installed codecs. Which problems do you have with XnView MP?
Pierre.
slyarxon

Post by slyarxon »

Hello Pierre, thanks for your answer !

I'm experiencing a relatively close problem with videos not displaying, but on MP it just does not display anything on a slideshow (though the preview works fine). If there was a picture before a video, the sildeshow just freezes on the previous picture, if the video is first I just have a black screen (with no sound compared to the classic version).

I'm still focusing on fixing the classic version as MP does not seem to handle forlders in sld files like the classic version (like so : "C:\Users\Admin\Pictures\screensavers\"- ).

Still looking into the issue but the strange thing is that I can get previews to work in MP - and I can open in the program (inside a tab) the video to be displayed, but not in a slideshow or in the preview screen on XnView classic... At this level it seems the internal player sometimes manages to display, sometimes not so I can't know if it comes from an issue with the codec or if it is a strange behaviour of the player that only happens to gummiband and me...
gummiband

Post by gummiband »

xnview wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:30 am there is no internal video codec on XnView Classic
this is odd, because the first call of a portable "installation" in a fresh folder, produces working playbacks.
slyarxon

Post by slyarxon »

Hello,

I did try what gummiband was saying about a fresh install folder and managed to have the preview work too, only the first time I started the program. I did many attempts and not 100% of them sucessfully displayed the preview on first start so it's kind of inconsistant on my side.

Since I managed to reproduce, out of curiosity I used git to check file differences before and after the first start, no difference to me so if something produces the issue, it could be outside of the install folder (I checked if avast was the one messing with it since malware detection can sometime have false positives but it does not seem like it).

I did also however found an other workaround (a dirty one I admit) : by allowing multiple instances of XnView (Tools > options > General > untick "Only one instance"), I can tick it to work, here is what I do :
- start a first instance of XnView (this one is going to be our "bugged" one)
- go to a video that has no preview, click it so it is displayed in the preview pane
- now start an other instance that is going to be the real one and keep the bugged one running on the side

And Voilà, for me the second has working previews as long as the bugged one is active. Having a bugged instance running also allows me to run slideshows with videos with no issue.

Interesting thing to notice : as soon as the bugged instance does not display a preview, the second one will fail to display it. in other words the video is read ONLY if two instances of the player are running, and one obviously does not work.

@gummiband : can you try this on your side and tell me if you have the same behaviour ?

I'm going to use this workaround for now, still can't put my finger on what is wrong...