Saving to pdf file - without font shown in file Properties

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Hatters

Saving to pdf file - without font shown in file Properties

Post by Hatters »

When you create a multi-page pdf file (or batch scan to pdf), XnView adds "Helvetica" font information to the file.
This does not allow you to configure the download of the file to the information system (the file is not considered a scan, and recognized pdf file).
How to remove this information?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Saving to pdf file

Post by cday »

Hatters wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 pm When you create a multi-page pdf file (or batch scan to pdf), XnView adds "Helvetica" font information to the file.
The PDF file is as you say an image file, so the font information arbitrarily entered in the file Properties has no practical significance, does it?

This does not allow you to configure the download of the file to the information system (the file is not considered a scan, and recognized pdf file).
Could you explain the problem you are experiencing in more detail?

Note that PDF files produced by XnView software are not searchable, OCR software is required to make an image file of text searchable.

How to remove this information?
The file properties can be edited in some PDF software, either Adobe Acrobat or equivalent software, or special utilities, some freeware, if you need to.
Hatters

Post by Hatters »

cday wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:10 pm The PDF file is as you say an image file, so the font information arbitrarily entered in the file Properties has no practical significance, does it?
Could you explain the problem you are experiencing in more detail?
Note that PDF files produced by XnView software are not searchable, OCR software is required to make an image file of text searchable.
That's right. All programs for viewing pdf files ignore font information.
But in the organization to which I send the file check the structure of the pdf file. They need strictly scanned files (conversion from *.doc or *.docx is not valid). I don't know why they have such demands.
The file properties can be edited in some PDF software, either Adobe Acrobat or equivalent software, or special utilities, some freeware, if you need to.
Oh, Yes.
But I do not want to work with one file in several programs. If the utility can be connected to XnView - tell me its name.

For example, save the image to pdf (see attachment).
In the properties of the pdf file there is information about the font "Helvetica". What for?
Attachments
pic.pdf
(137.01 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
pic2.png
pic.png
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Hatters wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 am But in the organization to which I send the file check the structure of the pdf file. They need strictly scanned files (conversion from *.doc or *.docx is not valid). I don't know why they have such demands.
Possibly because PDF files created by converting *.doc or *.docx files would contain vector fonts, which would mean that the text in the file could be easily altered.

cday wrote: The file properties can be edited in some PDF software, either Adobe Acrobat or equivalent software, or special utilities, some freeware, if you need to.
Hatters wrote:But I do not want to work with one file in several programs. If the utility can be connected to XnView - tell me its name.

I don't think that is possible; the only solution I can see would be to batch convert the properties your PDF files using one of the solutions above.
Hatters wrote: In the properties of the pdf file there is information about the font "Helvetica". What for?

I don't know, possibly a requirement of the PDF spec, or an arbitrary assignment in the PDF creation software (third party, I think) used by XnView software.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

A small update:

1 I have been unable to delete the Helvetica font shown in the Properties of your file using Adobe Acrobat [Standard XI] for some reason.

2. Re-saving the file using 'Print to file' from software that supports that or an installed 'printer' seems to remove the font shown in Properties.

3. A PDF file created by opening and saving an image using another freeware software seems to produce a file with no font in the properties. :D

I'll send you a PM.

Edit:

The above 'Print to file' option is explained in this link. It is also possible to print to file directly from Chrome (and probably other Chromium-based web browsers) by opening the PDF file (Ctrl + O) and then saving the file using 'Save as PDF'.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i'll fix it
Pierre.
Hatters

Post by Hatters »

Thank you for your response.
When can we expect an updated release?
Hatters

Post by Hatters »

I am grateful to you, the font information issue has been fixed.

Now there is another error.
When creating multi-page pdf files, the structure of the files is broken and they become unreadable.
I took 3 pictures (1.png, 2.png, 3.png) and created 123.pdf – only 1 page is read in the file.
Multi-page image file 123.tif-created correctly. But once you save it as 123_tif.pdf - an error occurs again.

How can the situation be corrected?
Attachments
123_tif.pdf
(26.35 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
123.tif
(20.95 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
123.pdf
(26.15 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
3.png
3.png (2.85 KiB) Viewed 13097 times
2.png
2.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 13097 times
1.png
1.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 13097 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Hatters wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 am How can the situation be corrected?
right, i'll fix it
Pierre.
Hatters

Post by Hatters »

Is this a problem only in XnView Classic?
Fixed in XnView MP?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Hatters wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 am Is this a problem only in XnView Classic?
Fixed in XnView MP?
the problem is only with XnView Classic 2.47
Pierre.
Hatters

Post by Hatters »

Sorry, but XnView MP in the formation of the pdf is also added information about fonts (((
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Hatters wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am Sorry, but XnView MP in the formation of the pdf is also added information about fonts (((
0.92?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Hatters wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am Sorry, but XnView MP in the formation of the pdf is also added information about fonts (((
0.92?
XnView MP 0.92 writes font data to File > Properties > Fonts , same issue now fixed in Classic...
Attachments
0.92 Fonts Test.pdf
(106.15 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

should be fixed in 0.93
Pierre.