"Cropping" and saving

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Hans L

"Cropping" and saving

Post by Hans L »

Hello:

I am going to scan two big photo albums with several pictures on each page. A normal crop of, say, a five-image page would amount to making 5 electronic copies of each page and then crop photo1 in page copy 1 and save, crop photo2 in page copy 2 and save, etc. It would take a terribly long time.

Is there any way to open a page with say, five photos, and delineate photo1 and save it to a file X1, then (still being in the five-photo page) delineate photo2 and save it to a file X2, etc? That would save a LOT of time.

I realize that you can crop photo1 and then save it with a new name. Two disadvantages:

1. After such a saving, you would be in the new file, have to close it and reopen the original file.

2. If you Save, instead of Save as ..., you would have lost the original file content.

Any advice on this would be highly appreciated.

Hans L
cday
XnThusiast

Re: "Cropping" and saving

Post by cday »

Hans L wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:42 pm I am going to scan two big photo albums with several pictures on each page. A normal crop of, say, a five-image page would amount to making 5 electronic copies of each page and then crop photo1 in page copy 1 and save, crop photo2 in page copy 2 and save, etc. It would take a terribly long time.

Is there any way to open a page with say, five photos, and delineate photo1 and save it to a file X1, then (still being in the five-photo page) delineate photo2 and save it to a file X2, etc? That would save a LOT of time.

I realize that you can crop photo1 and then save it with a new name. Two disadvantages:

1. After such a saving, you would be in the new file, have to close it and reopen the original file.

2. If you Save, instead of Save as ..., you would have lost the original file content.

Any advice on this would be highly appreciated.

Two thoughts:

Cropping and saving each picture manually would as you say be very time consuming, but doesn't Photoshop, and even Photoshop Elements I believe, have a way of processing a scan of multiple images into separate images?

Second, in situations where a manual operation (in this case drawing a crop rectangle for each image) needs to be combined with repetitive operations (in this case saving the cropped image and reopening the source image) a macro recorder function enables each repetitive operation to be assigned to a shortcut key. The overall workflow can then be much faster.

Photoshop contains a macro recorder, and as similar requests where a manual operation needs to be combined with repetitive operations when processing a large number of images have occasionally been made on the forum, a basic macro recorder might be a useful long-term addition to XnView MP... :wink: