Backup everything

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Phil_Rose

Backup everything

Post by Phil_Rose »

Hi, I searched for this and only found something from 2011 and it's no longer relevant. I want to be able to make a backup of everything (toolbar layout, keyboard shortcuts, layouts of windows etc). Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Phil
Phil_Rose

Re: Backup everything

Post by Phil_Rose »

Would still love to get an answer to this.

Thanks!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Phil_Rose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 am I want to be able to make a backup of everything (toolbar layout, keyboard shortcuts, layouts of windows etc). Is there a way to do that?
I don't how much of that, if anything, is in your .ini file, you could open it in a text editor and see if you can make any sense of it.

Another possible test which might be simpler, would be to make a copy of your existing .ini file as a backup, then delete or temporarily rename the existing file, and then restart the program and see whether your custom settings are still present. If they're not, you should be able to backup your settings (or possibly only some of them) by simply backing up your configured .ini file.

Are you using XnView Classic or 'MP?

Edit:

Does anyone know?
geebs46

Post by geebs46 »

I used Everything software to discover that my xnview.ini file resides in folder C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\xnview

Save a copy somewhere and use if needed!
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

geebs46 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:06 pm I used Everything software to discover that my xnview.ini file resides in folder C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\xnview
The location of the .ini file can be found, and if desired changed, in the program setting Integration section.

Phil_Rose wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 am I want to be able to make a backup of everything (toolbar layout, keyboard shortcuts, layouts of windows etc). Is there a way to do that?
We still don't know whether all the settings Phil refers to are saved in the ini file, or whether some are located elsewhere... :?:
Spiv

Post by Spiv »

cday wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:46 pm
We still don't know whether all the settings Phil refers to are saved in the ini file, or whether some are located elsewhere... :?:
I am also interested in finding out if every setting is stored in the ini file...
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

You can check modified dates of files in Xnviewmp's installation folder ... Some settings like toolbars are saved in .bar files etc.
Categories names can be exported, and links with photos also.
If categories are not written in metadata, xnview.db file must be backuped ( backed up? 🤪 )

Edit :
Sorry , my answer was for XnviewMP . I did not check if it was the same for Xnview classic ...