Compressing multipage TIFF files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

sarainader

Compressing multipage TIFF files

Post by sarainader »

I have several multi-page TIFs (b&w documents), which I would like to compress using the Group 4 compression. However, Xnview seems to compress only the first page of the document, while the other pages are "ignored".

Is there any easier way to compress a multi-page file, than splitting the document into singular pages, converting all the pages and then joining them back together?

Thanks.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Compressing multipage TIFF files

Post by cday »

sarainader wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:08 pm I have several multi-page TIFs (b&w documents), which I would like to compress using the Group 4 compression. However, XnView seems to compress only the first page of the document, while the other pages are "ignored".
I know that if a page is edited it must be saved before moving to another page or the changes will be lost, which can become rather slow as the number of pages increases. I'm not immediately sure about the point you are making, though... Rather than spend time on it, there is a good workaround.

Is there any easier way to compress a multi-page file, than splitting the document into singular pages, converting all the pages and then joining them back together?
Yes... :D

The XnConvert software can normally convert a multipage input file to a multipage output file, with all pages saved with the compression option set on the Output tab. Alternatively, XnView MP's batch convert tool can be used. I'm not sure whether batch convert in XnView Classic supports that, but in any case XnConvert is worth exploring.