Enterprise Deployment Help

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

RLloyd04

Enterprise Deployment Help

Post by RLloyd04 »

Good afternoon,

We are looking to upgrade our new and existing clients to the newest version of XNView full. I have browsed the documentation and am not able to find an enterprise deployment guide. Such as how to register the product upon installation and suppress the default boxes that come up when the program is first launched. Typically I would use like orca or Advanced Installer to customize the MSI with an MST file but I see there is not one available. How would one go about installing the product enterprise wide, register the product and suppress the boxes after the app is first launched. FYI, we do already have a license for this product.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Enterprise Deployment Help

Post by xnview »

you can create a minimal xnview.ini or add registry entries, what is the best for you?
Pierre.
RLloyd04

Post by RLloyd04 »

I think the .ini would work best for our organization.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

So you can start XnView, change the settings, and deploy the xnview.ini
Pierre.
RLloyd04

Post by RLloyd04 »

I deployed the application to my computer, started it and configured the settings but I cannot find this .ini file you are mentioning. Do I need to manually create it?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

RLloyd04 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm I deployed the application to my computer, started it and configured the settings but I cannot find this .ini file you are mentioning. Do I need to manually create it?
Tools > Settings... > Integration -- Paths :D
RLloyd04

Post by RLloyd04 »

cday wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm
RLloyd04 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:20 pm I deployed the application to my computer, started it and configured the settings but I cannot find this .ini file you are mentioning. Do I need to manually create it?
No settings exist under tools. I browsed through all the menu's options and there is no integration or paths option.
I think I found the INI file in C:\users\Username\AppData\Roaming\XnView\xnview.ini
The problem is that the INI still doesn't have registration information even after I manually registered the product. How the heck am I suppose to register over 500 machines upon installation?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

RLloyd04 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:48 pm
cday wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:38 pm
No settings exist under tools. I browsed through all the menu's options and there is no integration or paths option.
If you follow the above path from Tools > Settings... in the browser or viewer, it is correct...

I think I found the INI file in C:\users\Username\AppData\Roaming\XnView\xnview.ini
That is the default location, User (System) on the Integration -- Paths tab.

The problem is that the INI still doesn't have registration information even after I manually registered the product. How the heck am I suppose to register over 500 machines upon installation?
Pierre?
RLloyd04

Post by RLloyd04 »

I still do not see anything called settings under the tools drop down. I went through every tab and every option and I still cannot locate anything called paths, integrations or settings.
Version: 2.49.5 (XnView Classic)
https://imgur.com/a/bp1FA7v

I see our old installer from version 2.22 was an MSI and looks easily configurable. Is there a way we can get an MSI for this newer version. We currently have 837 machines that need to be updated to the newer version and we are having trouble getting this accomplished.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Apologies, you posted under Info & Forum and in trying to help, I fell into the trap of not reading the thread from the start again before posting. :(

I'll have a look in XnView Classic out of interest, which means booting into Windows 10 on another laptop as I won't go online in Windows 10, but in any case you have no doubt already found the .ini.

If you don't see registration details, are you looking at the .ini of a computer that has been registered, maybe the entry only is created when registration occurs?
RLloyd04

Post by RLloyd04 »

I appreciate the help.

I created a VM I am using to install the product on. Yes this product has been registered + the VM rebooted; the INI still does not show any license information even after manually registering the product.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

In XnView Classic it's Tools > Options > System Integration -- Integration tab, so not so different.

Registration is at Info > Registration.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

RLloyd04 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm I created a VM I am using to install the product on. Yes this product has been registered + the VM rebooted; the INI still does not show any license information even after manually registering the product.
Pierre?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

RLloyd04 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm I appreciate the help.

I created a VM I am using to install the product on. Yes this product has been registered + the VM rebooted; the INI still does not show any license information even after manually registering the product.
For the registration, by default you have it in registry HKCU\XnView\License
Pierre.