Transparent PNG: Configurable background colour

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Roti

Transparent PNG: Configurable background colour

Post by Roti »

Hi!

There should be a configurable background for the transparent png or other transparent files. Because when I use a black text on a transparent png, I can see it, because XnView use white background. But when I view a white text on a transparent png, I cant see because of the white backgound. A configurable grid should be a good idea like in gimp.

Roti
crazytb

Post by crazytb »

I would like this feature too. I would like some way to know if what I am seeing is transparent or not (or semi-transparent). This applies to GIF, PNG and any other image format with support for tranparency.

I'm not sure about what is the best solution. A fast solution could be an easy an fast way of switching the background color, so, I can see how image reacts on background changing. This should be "real time", like "preview" checkbox of filters. In other words, a simple dialog to allow me to change the RGB (and/or HSV) of background, and shows the changes instantly.

Maybe, later, the "grid" feature could be implemented. But I think this should be implemented after idea above.

One important thing to note is the grid isn't aligned with image. I may scroll image, zoom it, resize window, and the grid is positioned differently from image. This is what makes the grid useful: the feeling of an "independent" background.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

crazytb wrote:I'm not sure about what is the best solution. A fast solution could be an easy an fast way of switching the background color, so, I can see how image reacts on background changing. This should be "real time", like "preview" checkbox of filters. In other words, a simple dialog to allow me to change the RGB (and/or HSV) of background, and shows the changes instantly.
You have it options/show transparency
Pierre.
crazytb

Post by crazytb »

xnview wrote:You have it options/show transparency
Pierre.
No, I don't. At least I don't have it on Linux version. AFAIK, background color is hardcoded to black in Linux version.

And both me and Roti would like an easier way of changing background, or more background options. However, thinking a bit more, we do have "Show Mask" option, which is handy. For me, I would like only to have "change background" option at Linux version.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know
Roti

Transparency

Post by Roti »

Hi!

I checked it with 1.7 rc1, and I have this: options/view/show transparency(<=8bits)
It is checked, but I have 24 and 32 bits images. Xnview should handle them too.

Thanx

Roti
crazytb

Re: Transparency

Post by crazytb »

Roti wrote:I checked it with 1.7 rc1, and I have this: options/view/show transparency(<=8bits)
Yes, I have this option too at Linux (sorry about previous message), but I see no way to change background. I want to be able to change the background! :)

However, Roti, do you know about "Show mask" feature? See on "View" menu. I think it will help you.
Roti

Post by Roti »

I can't click on the Show mask, it is disabled at these transparent png-s.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Roti wrote:I can't click on the Show mask, it is disabled at these transparent png-s.
So, it's not 32bits PNG.
Pierre.
Roti

Post by Roti »

Indeed it is 24 bit png, but I think it would be great (and important) to be able to view the transparency of any transparent image. At least with configurable background color.

Thanx
Roti
cheleb

Same here

Post by cheleb »

Roti wrote:Indeed it is 24 bit png, but I think it would be great (and important) to be able to view the transparency of any transparent image...
Another vote for this feature.

Cheers,
cheleb
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Same here

Post by xnview »

cheleb wrote:
Roti wrote:Indeed it is 24 bit png, but I think it would be great (and important) to be able to view the transparency of any transparent image...
Another vote for this feature.
Currently, xnview support only 8bits + transparency index and 32bits PNG picture.
Pierre.