1.91.1 exit hangs in 1000-file folders

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

EricChadwick

1.91.1 exit hangs in 1000-file folders

Post by EricChadwick »

XnView 1.91.1
WinXP SP2

Takes a long time to close XnView if I open an image that is in a folder that contains 1000 or more files. Seems to be crashed, unresponsive, but eventually it will close.

It takes less time (but still long) if the folder has only 300 files.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 1.91.1 exit hangs in 1000-file folders

Post by xnview »

EricChadwick wrote:XnView 1.91.1
WinXP SP2

Takes a long time to close XnView if I open an image that is in a folder that contains 1000 or more files. Seems to be crashed, unresponsive, but eventually it will close.

It takes less time (but still long) if the folder has only 300 files.
Strange, i have not the problem.
All your files are jpeg?
All thumbnails have been created before you exit?
Pierre.
EricChadwick

Post by EricChadwick »

They are all DDS files (DXT1 format). I don't wait for XnView to finish updating thumbnails before I close it.

Currently we're using Windows Explorer with thumbnails on (and Nvidia's DDS thumbnail extension) to view the folders, to avoid the XnView problem, but we still need to zoom-examine a single image from time to time.

Thanks for looking into this.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

EricChadwick wrote:They are all DDS files (DXT1 format). I don't wait for XnView to finish updating thumbnails before I close it.

Currently we're using Windows Explorer with thumbnails on (and Nvidia's DDS thumbnail extension) to view the folders, to avoid the XnView problem, but we still need to zoom-examine a single image from time to time.

Thanks for looking into this.
Strange, could you wait that thumbnails are created before to quit (for testing)?
Pierre.
azsd

Post by azsd »

do you have an dual core box?
it's may be main/worker threads runing in diffrent cpu cause sync problem
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

azsd wrote:do you have an dual core box?
it's may be main/worker threads runing in diffrent cpu cause sync problem
I've tested on dual core, and no problem
Pierre.
Eblis

Post by Eblis »

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same thing with XnView 1.91.6 (Oct 19 2007).

If I use XnView to view a photo from a flash memory card and then close XnView it takes a very long time for XnView to close and it brings the processor to 100% load while closing. After about 5-10 seconds XnView closes and the CPU usage returns to normal.

If i don't close XnView immediately after opening the picture then it closes instantly.

This may be related to XnView creating thumbnails in the background but i never opened the browser mode, I just opened a single picture.

(Usually i have RAW files and jpegs on the card, the RAW files might be heavier on the CPU usage).

Sometimes i just want to search for a particular picture among others, or to search the first picture from a set and I open images, skipping some in between, to find the first one (i don't want to use the browser for this as it takes a lot of time to load pictures that i know are not part from that session).