XnView cannot determine ts video TV recordings

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

gouache

XnView cannot determine ts video TV recordings

Post by gouache »

When setting an external player to load videos from the XNView browser, when playing TV recordings in .ts container, either MPEG2 or H264 (HD), it tells me:

"Format of the file <xyz.ts> could not be determined"

please add recognition of .ts files as they are very common for anyone with a TV card.
gouache

Re: XnView cannot determine ts video TV recordings

Post by gouache »

The same problem applies to .m4v files, usually ipod downloads (H264).
gouache

Post by gouache »

This seems to be erratic, TS files suddenly worked (and opened with MPC-HC), but then browsing to a different folder and trying a .m4v file I get the same message as above, then all .ts files also stop opening.
gouache

Post by gouache »

Unfortunately this is is not fixed with the latest version, with both .ts and .m4v files. If you double click the files you get the "Format of the file <xyz.ts> could not be determined" warning, yet if I select Open With>Associated Program, it works, and opens the file in the external program.
gouache

Post by gouache »

It seems sometimes if the thumbnail cache for a folder is added to i.e. new recordings have been made, double clicking .ts video files will then successfully open them in the external program (MPC-HC in my case). However if you then navigate out of that folder, double clicking .ts or .m4v files again fails.
gouache

Post by gouache »

OK, finally worked out the what the exact nature of this bug is, this can be repeated:

It will only correctly open a .ts video file in the associated program with a double click if that file is new to the folder and has just has had a thumbnail made by xnview (ffmpeg).
gouache

Post by gouache »

gouache wrote:OK, finally worked out the what the exact nature of this bug is, this can be repeated:

It will only correctly open a .ts video file in the associated program with a double click if that file is new to the folder and has just has had a thumbnail made by xnview (ffmpeg).
The bug is still here in the latest version, I have uploaded 6 small TV recordings with .ts extension to test :wink: :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35202345/xnview ... iltest.zip (48MB)

1. In Options General>Open action (Browser)>Video files, select 'Open in associated program'. In Browser>Preview, disable auto play for Video/Audio & Show first frame.

2. Place 3 of the .ts TV recordings in a folder, access the folder in XnView browser, let ffmpeg.exe (in XNView Addon folder) create the thumbnails. You should be able to open the files in your default external player by double clicking.

3. Close XnView, add the other 3 .ts TV recordings to the same folder in Windows Explorer. Open XnView, go to that folder, let the new thumbnails be created. You should now see you cannot double click the first three files anymore without this warning:

"Format of the file <xyz.ts> could not be determined"

(Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium)