Xnview 1.99 Cannot set file associations

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

knn

Xnview 1.99 Cannot set file associations

Post by knn »

Setting associations doesn't work.

When I install Picasa and set file associations to Picasa it works (= Picasa gets started), so it's not some general registry bug.

When I try to set file associations in Xnview it it doesn't give me any errors but it won't set any associations (instead Windows Photo Viewer is started when I double-click on a picture).

I use Win7 64bit.
Xnview is started with admin rights.
Sprintdriver

Re: Xnview 1.99 Cannot set file associations

Post by Sprintdriver »

Hi.

What entries is avaiable on list when you right click on a jpg file in windows explorer?

There is a lot of things in windows registry that can (and will) override any file association settings.
knn

Post by knn »

Sprintdriver wrote:What entries is avaiable on list when you right click on a jpg file in windows explorer?
Sprintdriver wrote:There is a lot of things in windows registry that can (and will) override any file association settings.
But it's an Xnview Bug, if setting associations works with other image viewers.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

knn wrote: But it's an Xnview Bug, if setting associations works with other image viewers.
Sometimes, registry associations can't be made... Try 'open with' from context menu of windows explorer
Pierre.
V@no

Post by V@no »

xnview wrote:
knn wrote: But it's an Xnview Bug, if setting associations works with other image viewers.
Sometimes, registry associations can't be made... Try 'open with' from context menu of windows explorer
On Windows 8 x64 XnView doesn't even register as an associative application - it's not shown in "Default programs" list, therefore it's impossible batch set association with it without manually going through each extension via "Open with" context menu.

Perhaps fixing this issue would fix the "Sometimes, registry associations can't be made"? ;)

Windows 8 Pro x64, XnView 1.99.6

Thanks.

P.S.
I've tried run XnView with administrative privileges, even as built-in administrator account - no change.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

V@no wrote: On Windows 8 x64 XnView doesn't even register as an associative application - it's not shown in "Default programs" list, therefore it's impossible batch set association with it without manually going through each extension via "Open with" context menu.
I think that you use the ZIP version of XnView, if i install the EXE setup, i have it
Pierre.
V@no

Post by V@no »

xnview wrote:
V@no wrote: On Windows 8 x64 XnView doesn't even register as an associative application - it's not shown in "Default programs" list, therefore it's impossible batch set association with it without manually going through each extension via "Open with" context menu.
I think that you use the ZIP version of XnView, if i install the EXE setup, i have it
Yes, I don't use the installation, it's set to be portable version (settings are stored in XnView folder).

Since other portable programs I have (image viewer and video players) if started as admin can successfully register itself as associative application, I'd call it a bug in XnView ;)
Even XnViewMP without even executing "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe" automatically adds itself into associative'able list of Windows 8.
Something is certainly missing.

[EDIT]
XnViewMP requires execution of "Associate files with XnViewMP.exe", which works fine.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me your email by PM, i would like to send you a test version?
Pierre.