XN 2.23 - "View Thumbnails Panel" changed order of files

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

josedumoretzsohn

Post by josedumoretzsohn »

Windows 7 Home Basic 64 - XVView 2.23 with XNShellEx - My new XVview version performed an unreversable inversion of order in the files view. Before, ordering them by Name (or Name-number) their order was, for instance: In Folder Mary: File Mary-Pamela_01.jpg \ File Mary-Pamela_02.jpg, and only after those the others came, such as: File Mary_01 \ File Mary_02. Now, from 2.23 on, the order became inverted, like: File Mary_01 \ File Mary_02.jpg, and after those, Mary-Pamela_01.jpg \ File Mary-Pamela_02.jpg. That is, before 2.23, the individual file names show first; as from 2.23, the combined file names show first. Any instruction to follow? Can I reverse to the old way (because the old ordering facilitates my saving actions)? Thanks for any guidance.
In Time: I too cannot register XNShellEx. Clicking on register.bat opens the same error message I have been reading about in this forum, even after, as instructed here, I deleted XN Shell and installed XN Shell 64
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: XN 2.23 - "View Thumbnails Panel" changed order of files

Post by XnTriq »

josedumoretzsohn wrote:My new XVview version performed an unreversable inversion of order in the files view. Before, ordering them by Name (or Name-number) their order was, […]
Confirmed:
  • v2.22
    1. Mary-Pamela_01.jpg
    2. Mary-Pamela_02.jpg
    3. Mary_01.jpg
    4. Mary_02.jpg
  • v2.23
    1. Mary_01.jpg
    2. Mary_02.jpg
    3. Mary-Pamela_01.jpg
    4. Mary-Pamela_02.jpg
josedumoretzsohn wrote:In Time: I too cannot register XNShellEx. Clicking on register.bat opens the same error message I have been reading about in this forum, even after, as instructed here, I deleted XN Shell and installed XN Shell 64
Did you run register.bat with administrator permissions?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote:
josedumoretzsohn wrote:My new XVview version performed an unreversable inversion of order in the files view. Before, ordering them by Name (or Name-number) their order was, […]
Confirmed:
  • v2.22
    1. Mary-Pamela_01.jpg
    2. Mary-Pamela_02.jpg
    3. Mary_01.jpg
    4. Mary_02.jpg
  • v2.23
    1. Mary_01.jpg
    2. Mary_02.jpg
    3. Mary-Pamela_01.jpg
    4. Mary-Pamela_02.jpg
I use now the same order as windows explorer...
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

xnview wrote: I use now the same order as windows explorer...
Missing in the 2.23/24 Changelog...

Code: Select all

Added:
* clipboard old method - viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30390
Add in [Start] section, ClipboardNewMethod=0
* #THUMB_WIDTH_MAX# & #THUMB_HEIGHT_MAX# added - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30652
Changed:
Fixed:
* Jpeg extension - viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30678
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

cday wrote:
I think it's covered by Fixed: ... * Natural sort order, and I vaguely recall a forum article wanting this. :bugfixed:

About your unrelated XnViewShellExt isssue: Version 3.5.0.0 is still the same as two years ago, doing nothing if it works would be a good plan (too late for you). The (un)register.bat scripts consist of a single line regsvr32 /u "XnViewShellExt64.dll" (example for 64bit unregister.) On a command line with admin rights you can try to unregister both versions:

C:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe /u XnViewShellExt64.dll
in a directory where you have this DLL, or specify its full path. The system32 stuff of a 64bits Windows is actually the 64bits regsvr32 for this job. Then the same procedure for 32bits:

C:\windows\SYSWOW64\regsvr32.exe /u XnViewShellExt.dll
in the directory of this DLL, or give its full path if you have it elsewhere. For paths with spaces as in "C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView\ShellEx\XnViewShellExt.dll" you have to use quotes.

And again, you need a command line with admin rights, if all else fails find system32\cmd.exe in explorer, right click, run as administrator. Finally register the 64 bits DLL with system32\regsvr32.exe, the same idea as above minus /u.

Edited: I'm not sure if that procedure requires to restart explorer at some point (a reboot could do this).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

omniplex wrote:
cday wrote:
I think it's covered by Fixed: ... * Natural sort order, and I vaguely recall a forum article wanting this. :bugfixed:
Is it a problem??
Pierre.
josedumoretzsohn

Thank you for your guidance. However, looking for the "Natural Order" possibility, I have achieved my best file-sorting layout for my work, after a trial-and-error search, after selecting "Ordner" in my German version (in English, the path is "View/Sort by/Folder). In the Windows layout, I had to scroll and find the last individual-figure image saved amidst the other ones in the panel, which is a lengthy and eye-straining process.

As to the register of XNviewShellEx through register.bat, I'll keep trying while reading carefully your answers to this post. My last response, a few minutes ago, after clicking on that file, was this new error message: "Module XnViewShellExt has been loaded, but the call for DIIRegisterServer failed, with error code 0x80070005. ..."
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

josedumoretzsohn wrote:Thank you for your guidance. However, looking for the "Natural Order" possibility, I have achieved my best file-sorting layout for my work, after a trial-and-error search, after selecting "Ordner" in my German version (in English, the path is "View/Sort by/Folder). In the Windows layout, I had to scroll and find the last individual-figure image saved amidst the other ones in the panel, which is a lengthy and eye-straining process.
so you think that previous method was better??
Pierre.
josedumoretzsohn

Yes: in my working routine, where most images are individuals; saving them routinely in ascending order, I simply press Ctrl+End and I am quickly there in the end of the viewer, where I see the last image of the series and its serial number. So, to number the next picture to be saved I must only add one. If the one-person image stays in the middle of the viewer, I have to scroll down the page to look for it, and this is very straining for the eye in a great amount of work.

As I said, in 2.24 I achieved my desired order by selecting "Folder" in View/Sort as/, although not in 0.69, where the order remains A and A-B for any selection (in this specific case, I cannot work with the descending order).
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

XnView Wiki (UI-less Settings » [url=http://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/UI-less_Settings#Browser]Browser[/url]) wrote:
  • OldSortMethod
    • When disabled, XnView will use the same sort order as Windows Explorer
      Value: Boolean (1/0), disabled by default
      Added in v2.25
@Pierre: Is this info OK?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnTriq wrote:
XnView Wiki (UI-less Settings » [url=http://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/UI-less_Settings#Browser]Browser[/url]) wrote:
  • OldSortMethod
    • When disabled, XnView will use the same sort order as Windows Explorer
      Value: Boolean (1/0), disabled by default
      Added in v2.25
@Pierre: Is this info OK?
yes
Pierre.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Is this revised version better, Pierre?
  • OldSortMethod=0 (default)
    • File names are sorted based on numerical value as in Explorer on Windows XP and later: 3 < 22 < 111
    OldSortMethod=1
    • File names are sorted literally as in Explorer on Windows 2000 and earlier: 111 < 22 < 3
Group Policy Editor (Turn off numerical sorting in File Explorer) wrote:This policy setting allows you to have file names sorted literally (as in Windows 2000 and earlier) rather than in numerical order.
If you enable this policy setting, File Explorer will sort file names by each digit in a file name (for example, 111 < 22 < 3).
If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, File Explorer will sort file names by increasing number value (for example, 3 < 22 < 111).