"Folder Tabs" misbehavior

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Boomer

"Folder Tabs" misbehavior

Post by Boomer »

The view item "Folder Tabs" should be renamed "Window Tabs", but that's not the real problem with them.

After you open enough images to the when the < > (scroll bars) appear to the right of the tabs, if you get back to the browse tab and open up more images, the scroll bars disappear. They will reappear if you toggle the Maximize button on XnView's titlebar.

A nice feature would be a shortcut to switch from tab to tab in either direction.

Another unexpected behavior is double-clicking a tab of an image window will close it rather then than full-screen it. Bad behavior! Or it's one of the hundreds of kaotically arranged options.

Boomer
Win2kPro/XnView 1.80.1
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: "Folder Tabs" misbehavior

Post by marsh »

Boomer wrote: After you open enough images to the when the < > (scroll bars) appear to the right of the tabs, if you get back to the browse tab and open up more images, the scroll bars disappear. They will reappear if you toggle the Maximize button on XnView's titlebar.
Yes, are tab-arrow problems. The tab-related arrows disappear for me after I close a tab. If I open a new tab, they reappear. Also, tab-arrows sometimes disappear when selecting tabs near the right end of window list.
Boomer wrote: A nice feature would be a shortcut to switch from tab to tab in either direction.
F8 and shift+F8 already do this.
Last edited by marsh on Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Clo
XnThusiast

Arabic order…

Post by Clo »

:) Hello !
- I noticed that the first tab following the sorting is at the right end of the bar.
- Each new tab is added behind the previous one, that is illogical; if you sort, let's say by name, you have "A" @ the right end, and …"Z" @ the left end that is the opposite of the normal reading direction, :P
…Another unexpected behavior is double-clicking a tab of an image window will close it…
• This is not a bug, and it's very ususal to close a tab by a double-click; for instance, in Web browsers, in Total Commander and certainly many other programs… Personally, I wish that this feature be kept.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
marsh
XnThusiast

Re: Arabic order…

Post by marsh »

Clo wrote: - I noticed that the first tab following the sorting is at the right end of the bar.
- Each new tab is added behind the previous one, that is illogical; if you sort, let's say by name, you have "A" @ the right end, and …"Z" @ the left end that is the opposite of the normal reading direction, :P
[
How are you sorting tabs? I think new tabs should appear to the far right (last on window list). The tab-arrows are used to shift display between a great many tabs.
Clo
XnThusiast

Obvious---

Post by Clo »

:) Hello marsh !

- The tabs in their bar might follow the current sorting files order, and they don't. In XnView, I sort mainly by extension, but for the test I did, all files had the same extension, so they are sorted by ascending name, then; and I repeat : it's quite illogical to get "Z" at left (first of the bar) and "A" at right.
- I use to read items on a bar from left to right, even a menu-bar or any tool-bar, looking for an icon, for instance…
- Indeed, the alphabetical order is respected, but we have the reverse !

:mrgreen: K R
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Earlier, I saw tabs automatically sort by name when using 'cascade'- weird. I cannot get them to sort at all now. I think any tab sorting is weird and unexpected.
helmut

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:Earlier, I saw tabs automatically sort by name when using 'cascade'- weird. I cannot get them to sort at all now. I think any tab sorting is weird and unexpected.
Automatic re-ordering tabs is indeed unexpected. Just imagine the flickering and changes on the screen when opening an image...
Some programs allow manual re-ordering by dragging tabs. Also there could be menu items for sorting tabs, but I doubt that there is a real need for this.
…Another unexpected behavior is double-clicking a tab of an image window will close it…
As Clo has pointed out, this has been discussed a lot before and is a feature, not a bug. Most people find this useful and this will persist unless there is a really good reason to change it.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
As Clo has pointed out, this has been discussed a lot before and is a feature, not a bug. Most people find this useful and this will persist unless there is a really good reason to change it.
I don't use tabs in xnview too much, but I don't like it too.

In "tabbed" browsers there is an option to disable this feature, you can still use MMB to close a tab.

"Really good reason" - you can close a tab by accident very easy, this is very annoying, I know it from older versions of the Avant Browser and in xnview there are no buttons to switch the tabs and also no option to switch the tabs with a mouse wheel over the "tab bar", so you must click to tabs often adn it's more likely that you close tab by accident...