Unable to view certain types of DDS files

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Magister

Unable to view certain types of DDS files

Post by Magister »

I have successfuly used XnView in the past to view all sorts of DDS files that come with games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim, but I am getting an error message with the normal _n.dds and _s.dds texture maps used in fallout 4 (the diffuse maps are still able to be viewed). The error message is: "DDS Unknown Type."

I would like for support to be added for these new types of DDS files. I can find little information, but apparently they are saved as 3Dc format (ATI2N / BC5). About the only thing that can view them is the Intel® Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop, but I don't want to have to open images 1 by 1 in Photoshop, plus a lot of people cannot afford the program. There is some complex information on the old and new DDS formats here: http://www.reedbeta.com/blog/2012/02/12 ... n-formats/

EDIT: I realized I posted this in the wrong forum. It should be for the Classic rather than the MP version. However, the tested the MP version and it too cannot decipher these newer types of dds textures. I prefer the Classic version because it is free from DLL bloat, less than 20% of the install footprint of MP.
Attachments
DDSTextures(Unviewable).rar
Unreadable DDS Textures (Fallout 4)
(885.64 KiB) Downloaded 142 times