XnView crashes with large number of big thumbnails

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Gabro

XnView crashes with large number of big thumbnails

Post by Gabro »

I used XnView for several years now and i noticed a bug that causes XnView to crash. At first i didn't know what the problem was, because this bug didn't occur every time. I made some tests and found a way to reproduce the bug reliably (at least kind of).

Steps to reproduce the bug:
  1. Create a folder with 20000 images (at least 1920x1200px). The more images you have in one folder, the more likely it is to reproduce the bug. Just take a set 100 different pictures and duplicate them until you have 20000 images in one folder. This bug also occurs with folders with just a few thousand images (~1000-2000), but it doesn't occur reliably. A folder with 20000 images makes it more easy to reproduce and debug the bug.
  2. Download "XnView Minimal 2.45" the zip-Version
  3. Start XnView. The window "XnView - Configuration wizard" starts.
  4. Check ".ini file in Application folder (Single-User system)"
  5. Under "System integration" disable all checkboxes
  6. Set "Check update" to "never"
  7. Press "OK"
  8. The window "Tipp of the day" shows up.
  9. Close the window "Tipp of the day"
  10. Go to "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Thumbnails"
  11. Check "Use huge thumbnails"
  12. Set "Width" and "Height" to 700. The bigger the thumbnails, the more likely it is that the bug occurs. But 700px is enough to reproduce the bug.
  13. Press "OK" to close the "Options" window and save the settings.
  14. Open the folder with 20000 images inside XnView throw the tree view
What will happen:
XnView will start creating the thumbnails and will show the progress in the progress bar inside the status bar. After a few minutes (~10 minutes) XnView will crash in the middle of the creation of the thumbnails. Sometimes XnView crashes in the first minutes and sometimes it crashes after more than 10 minutes.

What else did i try?
I tried every compression format of the thumbnail cache and even tried to disable the cache, but the bug still occurs. It just takes a different time for XnView to crash, depending on the settings made.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: XnView crashes with large number of big thumbnails

Post by cday »

Possibly due the addressable memory limit in 32-bit software?

Please see this recent thread Limit while generating thumbnails from folder with > 10,000 pictures?

The answer could be to use XnView MP 64-bit... :D
Gabro

Re: XnView crashes with large number of big thumbnails

Post by Gabro »

cday wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 am Possibly due the addressable memory limit in 32-bit software?

Please see this recent thread Limit while generating thumbnails from folder with > 10,000 pictures?

The answer could be to use XnView MP 64-bit... :D
I downloaded XnView MP 0.90 (x64, zip-version) and did the same test on it. The bug didn't occur :D . I guess i will use XnView MP then. Thanks for the suggestion.