Unicode Path Support

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Kwith

Unicode Path Support

Post by Kwith »

There are various reports about lacking unicode filename support in XnView Classic, e.g.
Re: XnView and Unicode Characters in the path
Wed, 6 Jul 2016 21:02:56 +0200
<-- removed* -->
Hi,
XnView has no unicode support, please check XnViewMP
Best regards

> Hi,
> I use a NTFS file system ...
> Unfortunately, XnView V2.36 fails to open files that have (a unicode) character in the path, even if it is not in the filename, but in the ... containing folder tree ...
The change-log for version 2.41 states 'Basic support for unicode filename'.
Thank you for this improvement!

However, according to my tests, unicode characters are only supported even in version 2.46 when they are directly in the filename. Unicode characters in the directory hierarchy are still unsupported. More precisely: jpg files are associated with XnView Classic on my system. A double click on a jpg file in a folder with a unicode character produces an error message with the unicode character replaced by a question mark in the error message. Did not check further with image browser etc.

Since my feature request Please offer XnView's 'ScrollVal' option in XnView MP, too also is not implemented in XnView MP (after two and a half years), XnView MP is still no alternative here.

Please complete full path unicode support in XnView Classic - it is still the more stable and 'smooth' program, current file systems are unicode, and many people obviously have the need for it.

Thank you very much! <3

<-- * E-mail address removed by moderator (see “Rules and Guidelines”) -->
ThumpieBunnyEve

Re: Unicode Path Support

Post by ThumpieBunnyEve »

^ +1 i support his idea and need its functionality as well.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Kwith wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:04 am Since my feature request Please offer XnView's 'ScrollVal' option in XnView MP, too also is not implemented in XnView MP (after two and a half years), XnView MP is still no alternative here.
It's already implemented (0.93)
Pierre.
VikViper

Post by VikViper »

as of 2021-02-17 this issue is still present! What a bummer!
lisansas

Post by lisansas »

same bug.My path have 〜 then 〜 replaced by a question mark in the error message
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

lisansas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:57 am same bug.My path have 〜 then 〜 replaced by a question mark in the error message
Have you considered using XnView MP which has full Unicode support? :D
XtremeMaC

Post by XtremeMaC »

Hi I do have the same Unicode problem with XN Classic. Yes, XN MP has no issues, but day to day XN Classic is much faster.
Any chance of Unicode support, more so for emoji characters as nowadays filenames contain shit like ♡ that Classic fails to read.