Video files lead to crashing XnView with scroll wheel

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Zap

Video files lead to crashing XnView with scroll wheel

Post by Zap »

The scroll wheel works great with still image files. When I encounter an .mp4 file, repeated use of the wheel will often lead to a freeze. Also, waiting for the movie to end then scrolling forward will also lead to a freeze. Ctrl-Alt-Del becomes necessary. I have a mix of .jpg and .mp4 files in my directory, with an occasional .gif or .png. While larger .mp4 files tend to cause more problems, I think I could create a crash with any of them. Just scroll back and forth.

The workaround is to navigate with the Next File/Previous file icons in the toolbar. But fixing this scroll wheel bug would still be nice.

Within my current settings, disabling read-ahead doesn't appear to help.

XnView Version: 2.49.3
MS Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363 Build 18363

(I could only find the xnview.ini file after I checked the About dialog box. Perhaps the 2007 sticky on this forum should be updated.)

Renaming xnview.ini to xnview.bak reminded me that I had changed the scroll wheel setting to "Next file/Previous file". When I changed the clean install to that setting, I was still able to recreate the program freeze/crash. It's possible that "Fit Image to Window" and/or "Sort files by date" makes the problem worse: I'm not certain.

Past threads: 2012-2013: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25426&p=109791&hil ... ze#p109791

2014: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30724&p=122153&hil ... ze#p122153
uzernaam

Re: Video files lead to crashing XnView with scroll wheel

Post by uzernaam »

I love this program, and hate it at the same time.

I don't know what the issue is with video files, but I have never got a working arrangement with this program in spite of years of tinkering.

Xnview either crashes when trying to open a video file, requiring esc, ctrl+alt+del, hitting the power button on my monitor TWICE, closing xnview, opening task manager and forcing it to close, or rebooting the computer.

I have given up many times in my efforts to get video thumbnails to work with this program, but seeing that other people insist it works inspires me to try again, but I always fail.

:: shrug ::
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

so you have a crash only when in 'edit mode' you navigate with scroll wheel, and not keys or toolbar icon?
The crash occurs when loading the mp4 file?
Pierre.
Zap

Post by Zap »

XnView Classic version 2.50.2, Windows 10:

Image View Mode:

Scroll wheel with .jpg, .gif: No problem.
Scroll wheel starting with .jpg and moving to .webm: No problem.

Scroll wheel when .webm is playing or has stopped playing and screen is maximized (but not full screen): program crash.

Scroll wheel *sometimes* when window is smaller, taking up ~left 1/3 of screen: no crash. I had not noticed this a year ago. I just noticed it today. When window takes 1/2 of screen, you still get a crash. I think the underlying issue is using scroll wheel when the .webm is magnified. HOWEVER unchecking, "Fit Video to Window", does NOT appear to help.

Using toolbar buttons for navigation: never crashes.

I just tried Page-Down and Page-up keys today, and I don't see any problems.

Viewing .webm in browser mode: scroll wheel never crashes, but then again it has different functionality. Cursor control keys don't cause a crash.

So the problem is with the scroll wheel in image mode.

PS: In case it isn't obvious, I've set up the scroll wheel to work with Previous/Next file in the Options menu: Options -> General -> Keyboard/Mouse -> Mouse -> Mouse Wheel
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Ok, will be fixed
Pierre.