Unable to open directories and images contains national letters

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Smyle

Unable to open directories and images contains national letters

Post by Smyle »

Hi,
XnView is unable to open directories and images at all which contains hungarian letters such as űő
Dont need suggestion to use XnView MP, thanks. Its a different software.
This issue is a ridiculous disadvantage from a modern software which still gets updates.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: unable to open directories and images contains national letters

Post by xnview »

Please use XnView MP (native unicode support)
Pierre.
gulok

Post by gulok »

Hi,
I have 2 PCs (both Win10 20H2 64bit) and on one of them (1) I can't open folders/files with national letters etc. (clean install of version 2.49.23 &updated to 2.49.4), but on the other one - older (2) (updated from 2.47 to 2.49.4) national letters & other unicode elements works fine. On (1) letters like ł, ż are changed into l, z etc.
Will this issue be addressed in future Classic versions or you're making us switch to MP 😢?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

gulok wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:52 pm I have 2 PCs (both Win10 20H2 64bit) and on one of them (1) I can't open folders/files with national letters etc. (clean install of version 2.49.23 &updated to 2.49.4), but on the other one - older (2) (updated from 2.47 to 2.49.4) national letters & other unicode elements works fine. On (1) letters like ł, ż are changed into l, z etc.
There was a case before where the characters displayed depended on a localisation setting affecting the keyboard, from memory the user in question had to change the setting on a computer from UK to Greek; unfortunately I haven't been able to find the relevant thread, but an online search might enable you to find the setting involved...

Will this issue be addressed in future Classic versions or you're making us switch to MP 😢?
Enabling Unicode support on XnView Classic is effectively not practical, the future is now very much with XnView MP which is nearing maturity. :D