Freeware Audio Ripping Tools

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Freeware Audio Ripping Tools

Post by helmut »

I just stumbled over FreeRIP 3.0 a free audio ripper. It supports ripping to MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, or FLAC.

It's my first ripping software (don't laugh ;-) ), so I cannot tell much about it. But it's user interface looks very clean and ripping with FreeRIP is very easy. Perhaps other forum users know FreeRIP already, or can check out it's functionality and tell whether it's really recommendable.
Last edited by helmut on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ckit
XnThusiast

Post by ckit »

I recommend using foobar2000 with Lame 3.97 for MP3s or Nero's Encoder for MP4\AAC.
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8Ghz, 16Gb DDR4, RX6600XT with Dell U2520D at 2560x1440@60Hz
Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2, PowerToys and Wintoys
Troken

Post by Troken »

It looks nice and intresting, i'll try it out. My recommendation is the free CDex. It's great, it can use Lame for MP3s, and has what you need for audio-ripping. You can find it here: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
PS. Latest update is fairly old, but a new one is finally on the way!

Ckit :arrow:
I never used Foobar2000 for ripping, the main reason because the settings for MP3 were to few. Did I just miss something?
JohnFredC
XnThusiast

Post by JohnFredC »

I use FreeRip. Very "to-the-point" and works great.
John
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you, ckit, John, and Troken for your feedback and recommendations.

My main concern is that those ripping programs not just differ in functionality but differ in the mp3 quality (not just because of different sampling rates). But I guess and hope that mp3 ripping algorithms are standard - aren't they?
Troken

Post by Troken »

helmut wrote:But I guess and hope that mp3 ripping algorithms are standard - aren't they?
:) Dear Helmut, i'm sorry, theres a little more to it. Beside different settings you can input for the encoding, there are different encoders. The most popular is Lame encoder with nice quality, which is used by many programs. I haven't tested the different mp3-encoders myself, just base this on what I've read on the www. In the end, I'm not sure if I'd hear any difference anyway...
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

Since all rippers use almost the same encoders and decoders they all produce almost the same good sound.
I doubt that anybody here would hear a difference. :wink:
But the rippers differ in features and comfort.

I recommend PowerEnc with its very smart GUI and its powerful not bloated feature set.
PowerEnc is multi-language freeware - like the other fine tools you can find on that page! :)

BTW: What about editing the threads title to "Freeware Audio Ripping Tools" ?
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for this interesting info. For now I'll continue using FreeRIP but I'll check out the other Rippers, too.

As suggested by Lesmo16, I have renamed this topic to "Freeware Audio Ripping tools", so all near-topic discussion is in-topic, now. ;-)
SZOMM

PS_Info

Post by SZOMM »

The best Audio-CD Ripper:
EAC = ExactAudioCopy
Freeware

Download:
http://exactaudiocopy.de/
(The site is in english language)

Best Converter:
CDex with Lame

Have fun ...
Pèdà
*end*
Omnia Lucili Aliena Sunt ! Tempus Tantum Nostrum Est !
helmut

Post by helmut »

I've just installed the latest version 3.02 of FreeRIP and found that in the new version some options are restricted to registered users, only. Only some options, still a bit annoying. I've uninstalled the new version and installed the old version 3.0. :-|
Last edited by helmut on Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Try EAC or CDex.
Dreamer
Effie

freerip Old version

Post by Effie »

helmut wrote:I've just installed the latest version 3.02 of FreeRIP and found that in the new version some options are restricted to registered users, only. Only some options, still a bit annoying. I've uninstalled the new version and installed the old version 3.0. :-|
where can I find the old version?
Thanks
helmut

Re: freerip Old version

Post by helmut »

Effie wrote:
helmut wrote:I've just installed the latest version 3.02 of FreeRIP and found that in the new version some options are restricted to registered users, only. Only some options, still a bit annoying. I've uninstalled the new version and installed the old version 3.0. :-|
where can I find the old version?
Thanks
I guess on some download portals you will still find the old version 3.0 of FreeRIP. Or you can download FreeRIP 3.0 here.

The author of FreeRIP explains in the FreeRIP forum why he had put in those restrictions in FreeRIP.
bluecarnation200

FreeRip old version

Post by bluecarnation200 »

Thank you for having a link to this older version of freerip. I have tried to use the newer version but it confuses me.
Thanks for having the link on the web to find.
Blue
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Try also "Audio Converter/CD-Grabber" - part of AIMP (best audio player IMHO) - easy to use, intuitive, also tag editor is included...
Dreamer