Scanning utilities

All non-XnView related: softwares, formats, imaging, photography...

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Scanning utilities

Post by XnTriq »

My version of Photoshop dates back to the turn of the century and doesn't come with this nifty feature Ty and René told me about.
So I went looking for a free alternative that would do both the de-skewing and the cropping of my scanned images for me automatcally.
Joseph Artsimovich: [url=http://scantailor.sourceforge.net/]Scan Tailor[/url] wrote:Scan Tailor is an interactive post-processing tool for scanned pages. It performs operations such as page splitting, deskewing, adding/removing borders, and others. You give it raw scans, and you get pages ready to be printed or assembled into a PDF or DJVU file. Scanning, optical character recognition, and assembling multi-page documents are out of scope of this project.
I was very impressed by the accuracy and speed of this open source tool when I did some tests with the samples provided by quantum.

Just like the multi-platform edition of XnView, Scan Tailor's UI is based on the Qt framework.
For everyday tasks I'll keep using XnView's new function (Image » Rotate » Auto de-skew...), although it's not perfect yet.

Related: ScanKromsator is a freeware Windows program designed to refine the raw scanned images prior to DjVuing them.
eL_PuSHeR

Re: Scanning utilities

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Nice post. I do scanning a lot. I am going to test some of these utilities.
Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
Ty

Re: Scanning utilities

Post by Ty »

Thank you, XnTriq. Good stuff.