Page 1 of 2
foobar2000 audio player (freeware)
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:08 am
An advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include ReplayGain support, low memory footprint and native support for several popular audio formats.
* Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player
* Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV, AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC
* Audio formats supported through official addons: FLAC, OggFLAC, Monkey's Audio, WavPack, Speex, CDDA, TFMX, SPC, various MOD types; extraction on-the-fly from RAR, 7-ZIP & ZIP archives
* Full Unicode support on Windows NT
* ReplayGain support
* Low memory footprint, efficient handling of really large playlists
* Advanced file info processing capabilities (generic file info box and masstagger)
* Highly customizable playlist display
* Customizable keyboard shortcuts
* Most of standard components are opensourced under BSD license (source included with the SDK)
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:05 pm
damn v0.9 seems to be beta forever
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:11 pm
foobar2000 v0.9 Release Candidate (2006-02-21)
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:15 am
foobar2000 v0.9 Final
* Reworked UI structure, removed various redundant / rarely used features.
* New: Media Library, replacing old “database” functionality.
* Improved playlist management - better handling of multiple playlists, native multilevel undo and more.
* Changes in title formatting script (field remappings) to make common operations easier.
* New: Converter, replacing old “Diskwriter” component. Includes album image writing (cuesheet creation, direct encoding to MP4 with chapters), preview generation and multi-CPU optimizations. Most popular encoders are supported out-of-the-box; more encoders can be added using generic commandline encoder setup.
* Improved support for specific file formats: faster tag updates with MP3 and FLAC, new native ID3v2 support, rewritten MP4 support now including chapters, rewritten cuesheet handling with improved handling of embedded cuesheets, improved AAC streaming support, and more.
* Various speed optimizations, improved UI responsivity during time-consuming operations; better handling of overkill playlist scripts.
* New: file type associations page in preferences.
* New and improved ReplayGain scanner with proper multichannel support and multi-CPU optimizations; now with option to apply RG adjustment directly to audio data in MP3 files.
* Improved audio CD support, with simple secure ripping functionality.
* Rewritten network code.
* Improved security by replacing various third party libraries with own implementations.
* Various usability improvements.
* Dropped Windows 95/98/ME/NT4 OS support. Windows 2000, XP or newer is now required.
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:32 pm
foobar2000 v0.9.1 Final
* Faster Ogg Vorbis tag editing.
* Official ASIO support (downloadable separately).
* Improved compatibility with buggy soundcard drivers.
* Added DSP preset switching functionality.
* Workedaround buttons display problems on Windows 2000.
* Improved “random” button action with album/directory shuffle.
* Added WMA playback support.
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 am
foobar2000 v0.9.2 Final
* Native support for new free Nero Digital AAC encoder
* New “Advanced Preferences” page
* More compatible MP4 tagging scheme
* New CD ripping UI
* Added “directory context menus” feature to file type associations
* Support for realtime DSP preset editing through DSP Manager page
* Fixed various networking issues
* APL support (no longer maintained) moved to a separately downloadable component (Monkey’s Audio support)
* Various cosmetic changes
* Various other bug fixes
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 am
foobar2000 v0.9.3 Final
* New file properties dialogs
* Speex decoding support, rewritten Ogg Vorbis / Ogg FLAC support
* “File Operations / Delete File(s)” now uses Recycle Bin
* Better integration of information lookup (freedb etc) components with Audio CD ripping UI
* Option to ReplayGain-scan converter output after conversion
* CDDA extraction bug fixes / improvements
* Improved “Open Audio CD" dialog
* Various progress dialogs no longer block UI
* Changed Media Library new item tracking behaviors
* Fixed low-samplerate LC AAC files mis-reported as HE AAC
* Improved compatibility with Windows Vista
* Various cosmetic changes
* Other minor bug fixes
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:56 am
* Fixed various cosmetic glitches that made it into 0.9.3 release
* Fixed high CPU usage on track change bug
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:14 am
* Properties dialog improvements
* Startup/shutdown speed optimizations
* Added LAME version and partial settings detection for MP3 files
* Replaced old “Fix MP3 Header” command with a new set of MP3-related utility commands
* “ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode” with workarounds for common bugs in other software’s ID3v2 implementations
* “Copy” button in components list
* freedb support now included with the installer
* Rewritten embedded cuesheet metadata handling
* Rewritten ReplayGain info editor dialog
* ABX bugfixes
* Added WMA tag editing support
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:01 am
* Improved compliance with Vorbis Comment and APEv2 tag specifications - thanks to Spoon for pointing inconsistencies
* Added gapless playback of MP4 files encoded with new iTunes
* Various bug fixes
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:49 am
* Updated Musepack decoder with support for accurate fast seeking on files produced by mppenc 1.16 and newer.
* Improved compliance with HTTP specifications
* Fixed MP1/MP2 handling bugs
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:45 am
* Fixed multiple bugs in ReplayGain Scanner
* Musepack decoding bug fixes
* Fixed a rare crash in the Properties dialog
* Fixed bugs in File Types preferences page
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 pm
I'm still using 0.8.3 since the newer versions still don't have all the plugins i use. In other words: the newer versions are inferior to me.
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:15 pm
That's OK, I just report the latest on some forums.
You use what you feel comfortable with
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:28 pm
* Security update: updated Vorbis libraries to 1.2.0
* Fixed a bug in title formatting / $caps2()
* Fixed drag&drop bugs
* Fixed playlist file format detection over mime types