[ADDED!] Folder support for Slideshow

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

[ADDED!] Folder support for Slideshow

Post by Dreamer »

Folder support for Slideshow - to always include (update) all files/images (and sub-folders) in folder at *.sld file start.
Last edited by Dreamer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Any reply?

I'll try to explain...

I'd like to run the slide show with the pictures from custom folders (and all sub-folders), e.g.:

D:\Pictures\folder1
D:\Pictures\folder2
D:\Pictures\folder3

There are always new pictures in these folders, so I can't use the current .sld slide show.

Is there at least any command line parameter(s) to achieve this??

There is such a tool, or at least similar, in Windows Vista, as a sidebar gadget called "Slide show", but it has very limited features - only one folder can be selected, window size cannot be changed...
Dreamer
fbachofner

Post by fbachofner »

I think this is a good suggestion too. Such slideshows would be up-to-date without additional effort.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

fbachofner - thanks for your support.

It would be useful also with just one folder/path with all pictures and use the random order - to "play" the slideshow with all pictures - it would be always different and always up to date.

This is the last 'big' slide show feature I need - and it's very important, because if I want to create a slide show with many folders/pictures - and I want it up-to-date, I have to open xnview, search for all the folders (20, 30, or more!?), save it and do this every week (at least). It's really annoying. :(
Dreamer
Landyman

Post by Landyman »

Dreamer wrote: There are always new pictures in these folders, so I can't use the current .sld slide show.
Would the answer be to provide a text editing ability?

Then D:/Pics/Folder1/*.* would provide what's required.

Reg.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

It's not working, but at least .sld file editing would help, of course.

I need to include also the files in the new subfolders, because I have mainly the new subfolders with the new files.
Dreamer
Landyman

Post by Landyman »

Dreamer wrote:It's not working, but at least .sld file editing would help, of course.

I need to include also the files in the new sub-folders, because I have mainly the new sub-folders with the new files.
Extend my suggestion of:-

D:\Pics\Folder1\*.*

to:-

D:\Pics\Folder1\*.* /s

to include sub-directories.

Reg.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Re: Folder support for Slideshow

Post by Dreamer »

Wow! This is the most important feature of this version for me! Thank you sooo much for this one, Pierre!!! :D

Few comments though:

Could you remove / place elsewhere the dialog to use folder recursively, please? It's quite annoying, perhaps you could move it to options, but I think it's even useless, since users usually (always) want to include also subfolders.

Another one - is it possible to use absolute paths in slide show? At least manually, by editing the sld file.

Moved to "1.97 Testing - Feedback".
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:Could you remove / place elsewhere the dialog to use folder recursively, please? It's quite annoying, perhaps you could move it to options, but I think it's even useless, since users usually (always) want to include also subfolders.
Ok, i'll put it in slide options...
Another one - is it possible to use absolute paths in slide show? At least manually, by editing the sld file.
You can already use absolute path
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Could you remove / place elsewhere the dialog to use folder recursively, please? It's quite annoying, perhaps you could move it to options, but I think it's even useless, since users usually (always) want to include also subfolders.
Ok, i'll put it in slide options...
Thanks - and you'll remove dialog, right?

BTW This option should be enabled by default IMO.
xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:You can already use absolute path
Oh, it was too late, got it, thanks. :)

Thank you again for this feature, Pierre! Now there is just one important bug to fix.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Done! Great, thank you again, Pierre!!! :D
Dreamer