B1 - MP3 tags - most tags are missing

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

B1 - MP3 tags - most tags are missing

Post by Dreamer »

I have the mp3 files with ID3 tags, v1 and v2 (title, artist, album, track, genre...), but XnView displays only 2 items: "track num" and "year" in preview properties. In other programs (incl. explorer) all fields are visible.

This issue is also in previous version.

Windows Vista SP1, XnView 1.96 beta 1.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: B1 - MP3 tags - most tags are missing

Post by xnview »

Could you send me a sample?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

OK, I think I got it. If there is just ID3 tag v1, it's OK, but if there is also v2 tag in the file, just some, or none tags are shown in XnView. It's probably because of missing unicode support in XnView.

Perhaps XnView should first read the v1 and only if it's missing, then read v2. I have both tags in my mp3s just because of this situation - that some program cannot read the unicode tags.

I sent two mp3s with v1 tag only and with both versions of tags to you.
Dreamer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Yes, if tags are in unicode, xnview can't read them
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Fixed in beta 2! Thanks, Pierre.

It looks xnview can read even v2 unicode(?) tags now!?

Closed.
Dreamer
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Dreamer wrote:Fixed in beta 2! Thanks, Pierre.

It looks xnview can read even v2 unicode(?) tags now!?

Closed.
Not really. What Pierre means is this:

- XnView can read ID3v1, ID3v2, ID3v2.3 ISO, ID3v2.3 UTF-16 and ID3v2.4. The last two have support for foreign symbols, usually referred to as 'Unicode'. But XnView will only show the info correctly if they do NOT include such foreign symbols, like Thai, Chinese, Japanese etc etc. Otherwise you will just see weired garbage (I tested that).

That said I doubt you have any such MP3s, as they normally would have the same strange file name and XnView don't process those at all.

BTW, offering support for Unicode formats but then not really supporting Unicode is a wide spread problem, especially with MP3s.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

OK, I have the mp3s with some wrong characters. But as you said, it's because of missing unicode support. It's a known issue, so I think this topic should be closed. Full unicode support will be / is in MP version only.
Dreamer
pic_viewer

Post by pic_viewer »

Dreamer wrote:OK, I have the mp3s with some wrong characters. But as you said, it's because of missing unicode support. It's a known issue, so I think this topic should be closed. Full unicode support will be / is in MP version only.
And I doubt that MP will ever catch up with XnView. But that would be a different topic too...