[Fixed] Thumbnail for mp3

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView Classic which have been resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ckv

[Fixed] Thumbnail for mp3

Post by ckv »

Edit 2: Not all MP3 with album cover are working and Oddly it works in XnView 1.97 too??? Now I'm confused.

Edit: I just figured out that the MP3 cover picture is shown in the preview / in view mode and not as file thumbnail in browser.
XnView 1.98 beta 1 changelog wrote:* Thumbnail for mp3
I assume this means the ID3 album cover picture embedded into MP3 audio files, but can't get it to work. There's no thumbnail checkbox for Audio files File List options.

The only way to get the MP3 thumbnails to show up is to disable "Recognize only by extension" which works "out-of-the-box" in previous XnView versions too. Is this how it's supposed to work?
Last edited by ckv on Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
ckv

Re: Thumbnail for mp3

Post by ckv »

To sum things up I don't see any difference to XnView 1.97 in the beta.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Could you try XnView 1.98 beta 2
Pierre.
ckv

Post by ckv »

xnview wrote:Could you try XnView 1.98 beta 2
Sorry for the delay. I tested the beta 2 and found out that some mp3 files do show thumbnails correctly. Actually beta 1 shows them too.

I do not have a lot of mp3 files that have an embedded picture, but most of the files I do have, still don't show any thumbnail in XnView 1.98 beta 2.

here's some example files (It's all free stuff). In Windows Vista these files show thumbnails in explorer.
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3 ... MP3889.mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/piifcpnw5xt0f7g#view:list
http://www.archive.org/download/AURAL01 ... chives.zip (170 MB, Uses png images)

I also tried to add pictures to MP3 files with Mp3 Tag Tools, but none of the files show the thumbnail in XnView 1.98 beta 2.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Please try 1.98 beta3
Pierre.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

Changed: B3 works with 'recognize by extension' on (unlike b1).
ckv

Post by ckv »

xnview wrote:Please try 1.98 beta3
Fixed. All my mp3 files now show thumbnails correctly. :D

---

Though, I think there's still room for improvement. Currently the thumbnail generation for MP3 files seem oddly slow when compared to the speed it takes to generate the thumbnails when 'recognize only by extension' is disabled, but it's a minor annoyance with thumbnail cache on.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

ckv wrote:Currently the thumbnail generation for MP3 files seem oddly slow when compared to the speed it takes to generate the thumbnails when 'recognize only by extension' is disabled, but it's a minor annoyance with thumbnail cache on.
It seems that XnView is combing through the whole MP3 file looking for start & end signatures of a (JPEG or PNG) picture stream. During this process, the parsed data is dumped into the system's %TEMP% folder. That's why we initially had “empty temp files left behind when browsing”.