Unicode support ?

Discussions on GFL SDK, the graphic library for reading and writing graphic files

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Defenestration

Unicode support ?

Post by Defenestration »

GFL has to be the premier image library for supported formats, but it does not support Unicode.

Is Unicode support planned in GFL any time soon ?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Unicode support ?

Post by xnview »

Defenestration wrote:GFL has to be the premier image library for supported formats, but it does not support Unicode.

Is Unicode support planned in GFL any time soon ?
I can add it easily for windows version, but utf8 is not better?
Pierre.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

It would be great if you could initially create a Unicode version for Windows (I assume you've used TCHAR internally, thereby allowing you to easily create a unicode version).

UTF-8 is generally used internally by most versions of Linux/Unix

UTF-16 is used internally by Windows, Java, .NET, MacOS X, KDE

UTF-8 and UTF-16 both have their advantages and disadvantages, so further thought is needed.

EDIT: BTW, any idea when you might release a Unicode version of GFL for Windows ?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Defenestration wrote:EDIT: BTW, any idea when you might release a Unicode version of GFL for Windows ?
You means unicode version for gflLoadBitmap, gflSaveBitmap?
Pierre.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

Yes, and any other functions that have a path and/or filename as a parameter.
cengizhan

Post by cengizhan »

So because of lack of unicode support i couldnt open some files containing asian characters in thie file names ? If that is the case than please release a unicode version. 8)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cengizhan wrote:So because of lack of unicode support i couldnt open some files containing asian characters in thie file names ? If that is the case than please release a unicode version. 8)
Ok, i'll add it in next release
Pierre.
Defenestration

Post by Defenestration »

Thanks Pierre!
cengizhan

Post by cengizhan »

Thank you. With this i wont need any other image viewer. :D
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Well, it is a really old thread, but I would like to state that I would really really appreciate unicode support. XnView is a really great tool.
I however live in Japan and have may Japanese friends. When I try to open one of their pictures XnView will simply stalls or claims the file does not exist.

I know the step to support unicode is a major rework, But there are people out here who are really waiting for it!

Ooops, I just found it... Thank you very much!

I'll start testing Testing the XnViewMP which should support Unicode :D

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewforum.php?f=60
minemax

Post by minemax »

+1
sprayer

Post by sprayer »

+100500
waiting very very long time, for now I have to use the standart windows viewer for Japanese pictures :(
Mii

Post by Mii »

2007,2008,2009… 2014!!

How long do we have to expect such an important functional? You promised that since version 2.0 will be support UTF8. At this moment you had released version 2.13, but utf8 has no support. I waiting support utf8 for very long time… without it I can not read the manga and navigate my archive with japanese named files.

Is it so difficult to make a really critical thing, that you have been asked as much from 2007! We expect this for seven years, please have a mercy for your users :|
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Mii wrote:2007,2008,2009… 2014!!

How long do we have to expect such an important functional? You promised that since version 2.0 will be support UTF8. At this moment you had released version 2.13, but utf8 has no support. I waiting support utf8 for very long time… without it I can not read the manga and navigate my archive with japanese named files.

Is it so difficult to make a really critical thing, that you have been asked as much from 2007! We expect this for seven years, please have a mercy for your users :|
you are in GFL forum! It's not possible to have good unicode support in XnView, XnViewMP has native unicode support
Pierre.
Mii

Post by Mii »

xnview wrote:…XnViewMP has native unicode support
ok. i will try XnViewMP.