Who uses GFLSDK?

Discussions on GFL SDK, the graphic library for reading and writing graphic files

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Christophe

Re: Who uses GFLSDK?

Post by Christophe »

I use it here in DIANA2D and in DIANACarto (the rotate function is particulary fine)

www.corsecarto.net
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Directory Opus News ([url=http://blog.dopus.com/2011/08/universal-graphics-viewer-plugin.html]Universal Graphics Viewer Plugin[/url]) wrote:A new Directory Opus viewer and thumbnail plugin has been released by ZwickySoft, adding support for additional image formats.

The plugin is based on the GFL SDK, a component for decoding various images which was written by Pierre E. Gougelet, the creator of the XnView image-viewer.

The plugin adds support for the ‘HDR’ format, which I know a several people have requested over the years. For a list of the (many) other formats, and further discussion of the plugin, see this thread at the Opus forums:
ZwickySoft ([url=http://www.zwickysoft.com/products/opus_plugins/dvp_ugv.htm]Universal Graphics Viewer (UGV) plugin[/url] for Directory Opus) wrote:Directory Opus is a file manager for Windows. It includes thumbnail support and allows viewing various file formats within the program. The number of supported formats can be extended through a plugin system.

This plugin utilises the excellent GFL graphics library to provide support for 161 formats (including HDR. NOTE: some formats are already supported by Opus). It supports thumbnails, the Viewer/Viewer Pane, and conversion from any of the supported formats.
uRsti11anError

Post by uRsti11anError »

How does usage of GFL SDK by Directory Opus comply with restrictions mentioned in SDK's ReadMe.txt?
Restrictions: You may not use the Software (GFL SDK or GflAx) to create components or controls to be used by other developers without written approval.
The product developed should not be similar to or should not compete with XnView/NConvert (should not be a graphic viewer or converter).
It's not for creation of viewers.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

xnview wrote:CelebNamer
MaierMan wrote:SimilarImages Finds and displays "near-same"/similar images
I'm fond of both and know both have been developped by the same person, whom I contacted for a few details. SimilarImages is of great use and yet no other program is able to achieve what it does - sadly the developer won't give out any sources to let me fix a few bugs, but I was able to at least modify its windows to be more effective/useful.

I use GFL SDK in at least two non-public programs and one generic project:
  1. A picture mass uploader (supporting various hosters with all features, such as accounts and galleries; the primary purpose is to prepare many uploads and then just let the program run for hours instead of wasting your time to click thru each upload on the websites), where thumbnails of the pictures to be uploaded are displayed. I also used to extract metadata such as the picture dimension, but for performance reasons I don't do that part with GFL SDK anymore but instead on parsing the file data myself (i.e. when displaying the thumbnail is not needed but the picture dimensions need to be known to inform the user about a picture being too tiny).
  2. A picture mass metadata stripper/replacer and transformer and resizer (rip all kinds of metadata for privacy reasons, then add your own comment in each metadata format, and maybe crop/rotate JFIFs in a lossless way to remove tags/captions at one side of the pictures, and maybe re-save the picture to have a lower filesize). GFL SDK was used to perform the lossless rotation, which was fine, but as it doesn't allow lossless crop I moved to NativeJPG for that part, which now also does all other lossless transformations. The only part being left is using GFL_SAVE_CALLBACKS to see how big a filesize would be without actually creating the file (to then re-save a file once a threshold has been passed, i.e. trying to downsize from 16 MiB to 10 MiB or less with the least quality loss).

Soon it will also have a part that will be a successor to CelebNamer, which will more effectively recognize celebrity names in picture file's metadata, even if they're misspelled to some extent.
  3. File data mining: to index files and their metadata (to later issue a search and have as many results as possible and not being bound to filenames alone) I try to recognize and parse as many formats as possible. For pictures GFL SDK is one (with FreeImage and GraphicEx and NativeJPG being the others) which I use to create thumbnails and getting format properties (such as picture count and dimensions, bit depth, color model...) and metadata (EXIF, IPTC, XMP, ICC, comments, titles...). As I'm able to mine data for several picture formats on my own already, I later merge all details separately to get the most out of it (i.e.: GFL SDK does not expect multiple EXIF blocks in JFIF files or is able to report the MCU=minimum coded unit).
So far GFL SDK has been of great use over all the years, and I use it since 2010. And before that time I most likely used software which included it as well.
a13ph

Post by a13ph »

SageThumbs
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sagethumbs/
SageThumbs is a powerful shell extension allowing to preview enormous amount of image formats directly in Windows Explorer by using Pierre-e Gougelet's GFL library (XnView's author).

Please read carefully the following information:

As SageThumbs is a Windows Explorer context menu extension, there is no an executable file that you should launch to bring it up. To use it, just open any folder with image files in Windows Explorer, and then right-click a file you want to preview. You'll see the thumbnail immediately in the context menu.
2019-11-08_003210.png
2019-11-08_003210.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 7640 times