Need Help Registering Components

Discussions on GFL SDK, the graphic library for reading and writing graphic files

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jackspm

Need Help Registering Components

Post by jackspm »

I've just downloaded the latest version 3.4 of GFL SDK. I then copy the file gflax.dll and libgfl340.dll to the system32 folder. Then using regsvr32 to register these files and I got errors as follow:

regsvr32 gflax.dll
Error: LoadLibrary("gflax.dll") failed - The specified procedure could not be found.

regsvr32 libgfl340.dll
Error: libgfl340.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered.

I'm on Win XP sp3 and I'm an admin. Any idea of what I did wrong? Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Need Help Registering Components

Post by xnview »

you need to register only gflax.dll, no error code?
Pierre.
jackspm

Post by jackspm »

I did try to register gflax.dll with the following error:

LoadLibrary("gflax.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.

I'm on a WinXP sp3 machine and the gflax.dll is located in c:\windows\system32 folder.
Any idea?

Thanks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Perhaps you need to install "visual studio C++ runtime" from microsoft
Pierre.
jackspm

Post by jackspm »

I did have c++ runtime library installed. Anyway, Dependency Walker is reporting the following files are missing.

IESHIMS.DLL
WER.DLL

These seems to be Internet Explorer 8 files for Vista. XP does not have these file. Is Vista or Win 7 required for this to run?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jackspm wrote:I did have c++ runtime library installed. Anyway, Dependency Walker is reporting the following files are missing.
C++ runtime for 2008? 2005?
Pierre.
jackspm

Post by jackspm »

I've 2008 C++ runtime library installed.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Gale Andrews (Audacity Forum » [url=http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=45745#p45745]1.3.8 Won't Start After Download. Error msg[/url]) wrote:Thanks to everyone who tested Audacity in Dependency Walker. As it turns out, it does not show anything useful - Audacity will actually run without IESHIMS.DLL, WER.DLL, DWMAPI.DLL or EFSADU.DLL. These are inevitable over-reporting problems that you would expect with a dependency tool.

I believe the problem is that the following files included in the Audacity installation folder which are necessary for it to run:

Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest
msvcp90.dll
msvcr90.dll

are not being picked up by Audacity. Instead, Audacity is picking up the same files inside the Windows system folders. But if the copies of these files inside Windows are earlier than the ones supplied inside Audacity, you will get an error on launch.

For now, we believe you can fix the problem by downloading Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86). Double-click on the downloaded "C:\vcredist_x86.exe" file to run it and follow the instructions. If you are asked whether you want to uninstall or repair, choose "Repair".

If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, please download instead Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) then double-click on the downloaded "C:\vcredist_x64.exe" file and follow the instructions as above.

Running either installer will install the same three files that are in the Audacity folder, but in a location where it can find them.

We have one report that this solution works and I've tested it by using the above x86 installer to replace invalid files in the C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90* Redistributables folders.

It's not clear yet what we can do to prevent this step being necessary while still using the current VS 2008 compiler to build Audacity. The basic issue is that these three Microsoft-provided files appropriate to VS 2008 are not seen by Audacity if they are in its own installation folder. In 1.3.7, the three required files appropriate to VS2005 are seen if they are in the Audacity folder.
QCL (Visual Studio Forums » [url=http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsx/thread/6bb7dcaf-6385-4d24-b2c3-ce7e3547e68b]Missing Dependencies for C++/CLI Custom Debugger: IESHIMS.DLL & WER.DLL[/url]) wrote:EFSADU.DLL
IESHIMS.DLL
WER.DLL

Are the ones reported when I distribute a very simple VB.Net COM Class to XP machines with IE8.

On XP machines without IE8, only IESHIMS and WER are reported as missing, but the class works fine anyway. So it seems that the missing EFSADU.dll (part of microsoft's Encrypting File System) is the issue, at least for my simple COM Class deployment.

If I add EFSADU to the deployment, then other dependency problems prevent the class from functioning on XP machines with IE8.

I've experimented with various service packs and even vcredist_x86 as one person suggested. Nothing makes a dent.

I'm working with an ultra-simple project, so there is nothing wrong with the code. The class has one function that returns True. I reference it from VBA in Excel and it returns True, as long as the machine doesn't have IE8... but it could be something else, that's just the only consistency I've found. In almost every other way, the machines are identical.

There are lots of posts that touch on this topic, but I've found no concrete answers. This is so mind-bogglingly simple... Wow! Can't believe I am having trouble distributing a basic com class, but it is not like I do this every day. Maybe one of you experts can help us with this problem that IE8 seems to have introduced.

Thanks!

... This issue could still be IE8 related on machines without microsoft's Encrypting File System (EFS), but I've found XP Pro machines with IE8 that successfully run the deployed COM Class. (XP Pro comes with EFS.) So my focus is shifting to finding a way to deploy EFS with the COM Class or finding a way to remove that dependency. It certainly isn't necessary for the project.
FrontierDK

Post by FrontierDK »

I'm having the exact same problem. Has this ever been resolved?

OS = Win2K16