A couple things

Discussions on GFL SDK, the graphic library for reading and writing graphic files

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Ben321

A couple things

Post by Ben321 »

GflAX (the ActiveX version of GFL SDK) dll file is not working properly on the copy of VB6 that I have installed on my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 laptop computer. It is giving the error:
Run-time error '429'
ActiveX component cant' create object

I think this is some kind of bug you'll need to fix so it will work properly on modern computers.

Also important to note is that your warning about not using LZW compression without a license, which you have in your readme file in the SDK, is no longer valid. Unisys, the company that had the patent for this compression algorithm has now put it in the public domain. In fact, that happened way back in 2003. Read about it in this article article http://www.kyzer.me.uk/essays/giflzw/
Note the article is written in a sort of humorous "tongue in cheek" kind of way, referring to it as if the patent had "died". But yeah, that gets the point across, that it really is no longer patented.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: A couple things

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

Thanks, I'll try that. Unfortunately this is NOT available for most users of it, as the main download page http://www.xnview.com/en/download_gfl.html does NOT have this new version. It only has the uncompiled copy (forcing the end user to compile it with C first). So thank you for linking me to the post with the already compiled copy. Please (for the sake of others) link to this already compiled version, on your main download page for gflsdk and gflax http://www.xnview.com/en/download_gfl.html

Also, which files do I need to run in Windows7 x64 (an obviously 64bit version of Windows), when using VB6 (an obviously 32bit copy of VB)? Do I need the 64bit version of the DLL file, or the 32bit version?

Also which DLL file(s) in the folder is in fact the one I need to use with VB6?
gflax.dll
libgfl334.dll
libgfle334.dll

or some combination of these 3 files

or all 3 of them?

Please explain.
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

Turns out it needs all 3, and that the files have to be in c:\windows\syswow64 (on an x64 computer, but would be c:\windows\system32 on an x86 computer, as system32 on an x64 computer is reserved for the 64bit files) for them to work correctly, and that then you have to do regsvr32 gflax.dll to register it, before it will even work in VB6 on Win7. Haven't tried the 64bit version yet, but I doubt it will work on VB6, which is an older (and thus 32bit) programming language.
Ben321

Post by Ben321 »

Oh, and the help file is WOEFULLY OUTDATED! It is not based on any 3.xx version but instead is based on version 2.66. I don't even know how to use half of the new features in the DLL file, because the helpfile is the ONLY documentation, and it doesn't even include info on these new methods and properties.