XnView IPTC issue

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on MacOS X

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Silversleeves

XnView IPTC issue

Post by Silversleeves »

Seems it only sees IPTC annotations written into JPEGs by Photoshop as valid -- with annotations written with any other app supporting IPTC metadata modification (iView, GraphicConverter, etc) it greys out the "IPTC" tab in Properties for a single image and doesn't show that nice little corner-tag in the Browser indicating annotations of the IPTC type are present in file X or Y.

This reminds me of an old and, if I recall correctly, persistent problem with Extensis Portfolio and Photoshop -- of course there it wasn't annotations, it was full-sized thumbnails. I suppose it's true that every app has its quirks and foibles, but why does it have to be IPTC with XnView?

XnView 1.70
OS X Panther 10.3.9
G4 1.25 Dual MDD

Silversleeves
Silversleeves

Update

Post by Silversleeves »

I tested XnView's ability to read IPTC as written by the two other apps mentioned in the topic starter [along with Photoshop], on a JPEG file that did not have any (only a short string in the Comment header). XnView "saw" the annotations written by Photoshop, of course, and iView's showed up in Properties, and there <i><b>was</b></i> a corner tag in the Browser. Likewise GraphicConverter. I suppose the issue may be with <u>changes</u> made by the latter two apps, and this is something I've yet to test. Starting with a "virgin" file, annotations-wise, is hardly a way to get the full picture of what exactly XnV won't do.

In other parts of the graphics-app universe, GraphicConverter, for the last whole version at least (5.x), has an XML/XMP tab in its Info window. The GiMP allows for viewing the same information in its Properties window. Regardless of the result of my next "test", I think it's time for XnView to catch up. Either that or drop back to just EXIF support.

Silversleeves
Silversleeves

Non-'virgin' files indeed a problem

Post by Silversleeves »

Making some significant changes to a JPEG that had a good deal of IPTC data, I modified same and saved the file as new to another location. I did this with iView, GraphicConverter and Photoshop. The Properties window showed the changes between the original file and the Photoshop-modified one, accounting for all the changes made, but not in the case of iView or GraphicConverter. The Browser showed an IPTC corner tag for all three "mods" but an EXIF corner tag only for the GraphicConverter saved file and the one saved via Photoshop. Somewhere GC found the camera information which, since the original file was saved once before in the same version of Photoshop as I use presently, that app either failed to see or (thought it) wrote over it completely.

So it looks like any changes made with these "lesser" apps don't rate or register with XnView, proving the point of the post that began this thread. something to work on for future versions, I think.

Silversleeves