Wrong Mac architecture?

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on MacOS X

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jghere

Wrong Mac architecture?

Post by jghere »

I just downloaded the latest OSX version, and it opens fine on my MacPro, but not on my iMac. The error says it can't run on this architecture. Huh? It's current with 10.5.7. This is the machine I need to use it on. Any advice or explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

Machine specs:

Model Name: iMac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac12,1
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 700 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.6f1
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Wrong Mac architecture?

Post by xnview »

Currently the Mac build is only for intel mac
Pierre.
Silversleeves

Re: Wrong Mac architecture?

Post by Silversleeves »

jghere:

With regard to XnView, Power Macs that run any given version of OS X and folks using Linux (any kernel or distribution you can name) who don't go in for WINE emulation, have something in common: they're more or less stuck with the "generic" XnView build made to run on all Linuxes. It's likely this is the one you'll end up installing on the G5. I don't recall that the build I ran wasn't that generic one.

I had a dual processor Power Mac G4 on which I ran Apple's X11, and at the time there was an XnView build that used the X-org libraries etc., from that to run. I'm sure if you look around you'll be able to find that version or build. It'll mean installing Apple's X11 server on your iMac G5, and the features of the later/latest versions won't all be there, but it's better than nothing.

Hope this helps.

BZT