XnView 1.70.1

Questions, suggestions, and answers for XnView on MacOS X

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

XnView 1.70.1

Post by xnview »

I've updated the package, now built on Mac OS 10.4, so i hope that there is no problem now...
Pierre.
Schattenreiter

Post by Schattenreiter »

Still the same problems with me here.

Xnview launches; No windows; X11 Starts; approximately 2 minutes later the Xnview-Icon in the Dock quits; then Xnview immediately starts (with no Icon in Dock).

My X11 Version is 1.1; XFree86 4.4.0; Ati 4.5.7 Display drivers

Oh, my downloaded 1.70.1 Version still says it's 1.70 (2006). Is that correct?

And Pierre, what XFree86 are you using? Maybe the lastest 4.5.0 via self-compilation, or...? Only wild guessing, though. ;)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Schattenreiter wrote:Still the same problems with me here.

Xnview launches; No windows; X11 Starts; approximately 2 minutes later the Xnview-Icon in the Dock quits; then Xnview immediately starts (with no Icon in Dock).

My X11 Version is 1.1; XFree86 4.4.0; Ati 4.5.7 Display drivers

Oh, my downloaded 1.70.1 Version still says it's 1.70 (2006). Is that correct?

And Pierre, what XFree86 are you using? Maybe the lastest 4.5.0 via self-compilation, or...? Only wild guessing, though. ;)
:-( I use X11 from Apple
Pierre.
flurohair

Post by flurohair »

still the same bug with me :bugconfirmed: :( :bug:
using OSX 10.4.5 with preinstalled X11...
flurohair

Yooopieee !

Post by flurohair »

solution found...

There is no X11 installed in OSX10.4.5 by default and it's install hidden from the user somehow, so you must install X11User.pkg from OS installation CD in order to run XNView...
you can find it in directory ../System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg
Package from Apple site seems to be out of date and cannot be installed on OSX10.4.5
after installation of X11 from CD, you can run XNView simply, and wait for about 1 minute (epends on your MAC) looking on dead menu bar from XNView, for a first launch of X11. Then XNView small window will appear on your desktop , click on File->Open... and enjoy ! :P

it works for me (for OSX10.4.5 users), hope this was helpful !
Schattenreiter

Re: Yooopieee !

Post by Schattenreiter »

flurohair wrote:it works for me (for OSX10.4.5 users), hope this was helpful !
Nope, because that wasn't the problem, since the launch effect that you describe is excactly the problem... but thanx anyways for proving it. ;)

@Pierre: I am using the Apple-X11 from the Tiger-DVD. Maybe I should try the outdated version from the Apple-website?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Schattenreiter wrote:@Pierre: I am using the Apple-X11 from the Tiger-DVD. Maybe I should try the outdated version from the Apple-website?
No i use the same. Really strange...
Pierre.
Schattenreiter

Post by Schattenreiter »

xnview wrote:
Schattenreiter wrote:@Pierre: I am using the Apple-X11 from the Tiger-DVD. Maybe I should try the outdated version from the Apple-website?
No i use the same. Really strange...
Yes, indeed... :?
FishNrib

Better Solution Found

Post by FishNrib »

flurohair wrote:solution found...

There is no X11 installed in OSX10.4.5 by default and it's install hidden from the user somehow, so you must install X11User.pkg from OS installation CD in order to run XNView...
you can find it in directory ../System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg
Package from Apple site seems to be out of date and cannot be installed on OSX10.4.5
after installation of X11 from CD, you can run XNView simply, and wait for about 1 minute (epends on your MAC) looking on dead menu bar from XNView, for a first launch of X11. Then XNView small window will appear on your desktop , click on File->Open... and enjoy ! :P

it works for me (for OSX10.4.5 users), hope this was helpful !
I installed X11 from the OS X CD like above then I made a folder with XnView and X11 in it. All I do is grab X11 and drop it on top of XnView and they both open immediately.
FishNrib

Restarting XnView

Post by FishNrib »

If I have trouble restarting or it hangs I go to the Big Apple on top Left and force close X11 and XnView and then go back and drop X11 on top of XnView and I'm good to go.
Schattenreiter

Re: Restarting XnView

Post by Schattenreiter »

FishNrib wrote:If I have trouble restarting or it hangs I go to the Big Apple on top Left and force close X11 and XnView and then go back and drop X11 on top of XnView and I'm good to go.
Well, not any of yer nice tips solved any of me problems. Still the same effect here. Would have been strange, if it hadn't.

@FishNrib: Is Xnview there AT ONCE with Browser-window opened, or do you have to wait a few minutes for that, too?
If the Browser-Window is there immediately, what are your system-specs?
FishNrib

Opening XnView

Post by FishNrib »

[quote="Schattenreiter: Is Xnview there AT ONCE with Browser-window opened, or do you have to wait a few minutes for that, too?
If the Browser-Window is there immediately, what are your system-specs?[/quote]

I was getting the Browser to open immediately after dropping X11 on it but I tried it again yesterday and a little Menu Bar showed up for XnView. It contained File, Option and Info. I selected Browser and it showed up immediately. I have an iMac G5 2Ghz 512MB SDRAM using OS X 10.4.5
FishNrib

Re: Better Solution Found

Post by FishNrib »

FishNrib wrote:[quote="All I do is grab X11 and drop it on top of XnView and they both open immediately.
Not anymore!!!

I now have 10.4.6 and it takes about 2 minutes after x11 starts for Xnview to show up after I drop x11 into Xnview. Also I have given up on this program as it will no longer find my files.
isleofjib

has this been resolved?

Post by isleofjib »

has this issue been resolved yet? i recently bought a mac. i've used xnview on my pc and was happy to see it available for mac, only to find it doesn't work. is there a new version coming out soon or a workaround that works with tiger 10.4.7? i want to use this program....
raphael wolfer

solution look at this

Post by raphael wolfer »