b1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

b1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Post by Dreamer »

Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: B1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.
I disagree, you must a quick access to history/load/save i think...
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Options "Export batch for NConvert" and "Script" should be placed vice versa, since just Transformations are used for Script, therefore Script should be placed in Transformations tab.
Maybe, but it could be confusing for users, since they could expect that also paths, formats... are saved to Script.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:
Maybe, but it could be confusing for users, since they could expect that also paths, formats... are saved to Script.
So Export must be on the first page???
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Here is one picture from long thread about it:

And here is the original topic link (to 3rd page with more pictures).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:Here is one picture from long thread about it:

But for a quick access to history, it's bad to have it on second page, i think!
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:

It's a slower access, but quicker as it is more intuitive and you have to think less. ;-) I wonder what people think who use saved scripts heavily.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:

It's a slower access, but quicker as it is more intuitive and you have to think less. ;-) I wonder what people think who use saved scripts heavily.
Yes, do you want history/script on first page or not??
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:
xnview wrote: But for a quick access to history, it's bad to have it on second page, i think!
Yes, do you want history/script on first page or not??
Sure enough, if history was on first page, "Open" and "Save" button would also go to first page. But as written above, this would be wrong.
marsh
XnThusiast

Post by marsh »

It would be strange to place Nconvert option (secondary program) on front page ahead of script.
helmut

Post by helmut »

marsh wrote:It would be strange to place Nconvert option (secondary program) on front page ahead of script.
It would be correct to place Nconvert option on first page.

Just a section of the discussion in long topic "Save As" for Browser vs. Batch Convert:

"I was about writing something like "I see no reason why "Advanced operations" tab and "Scripts" tab should be mixed into one tab." Before finishing the sentence I checked to see what is contained in the .xbs file. The .xbs file contains the list of advanced operations (=transformations) and the parameters, only. The list of files is not contained. So in fact it's not a script but simply a list of transformations which is saved and loaded. The term "Script" is not quite right, I think. Placing it on the "Transformation" page and renaming it to something like "Load transformations..." and "Save Transformations..." (or simply "Load..." and "Save...") would make this clear.

The "Export as NConvert script..." button is difficult. The script exported for NConvert is actually a real Batch script and will contain both transformations and the list of files. So I'm not sure whether the position on the "Transformation" tab is good."
>>
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.

With this option also last used script could be used automatically and then it would be even easier - select images, ctrl+u, enter, select other images, ctrl+u, enter... Focus should be on script list, so that mouse wheel and up/down keys could be pressed, but also Enter.

So it would be correct and also more useful and faster.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
marsh wrote:It would be strange to place Nconvert option (secondary program) on front page ahead of script.
It would be correct to place Nconvert option on first page.

Just a section of the discussion in long topic "Save As" for Browser vs. Batch Convert:

"I was about writing something like "I see no reason why "Advanced operations" tab and "Scripts" tab should be mixed into one tab." Before finishing the sentence I checked to see what is contained in the .xbs file. The .xbs file contains the list of advanced operations (=transformations) and the parameters, only. The list of files is not contained. So in fact it's not a script but simply a list of transformations which is saved and loaded. The term "Script" is not quite right, I think. Placing it on the "Transformation" page and renaming it to something like "Load transformations..." and "Save Transformations..." (or simply "Load..." and "Save...") would make this clear.

The "Export as NConvert script..." button is difficult. The script exported for NConvert is actually a real Batch script and will contain both transformations and the list of files. So I'm not sure whether the position on the "Transformation" tab is good."
>>
Yes, i agree. But for user that use often same script, it's not easily if history/load/save is on second page...
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.
I agree, with some additional rule: If nothing has been selected, the first tab must be opened (since user will have to add files). Otherwise the last tab used should be opened.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.
I agree, with some additional rule: If nothing has been selected, the first tab must be opened (since user will have to add files). Otherwise the last tab used should be opened.
Helmut - of course.

Pierre, do you agree too? It's also answer to this question:
xnview wrote:...But for user that use often same script, it's not easily if history/load/save is on second page...
Just one thing - "Save last used tab" should be added as option, since some users don't use advanced operations often, they just convert images, for them opening a second tab is not good. There should be ability to choose this behavior.