b1: Batch Convert - wrong placement of options

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Post by helmut »

Dreamer wrote:...
xnview wrote:...But for user that use often same script, it's not easily if history/load/save is on second page...
Just one thing - "Save last used tab" should be added as option, since some users don't use advanced operations often, they just convert images, for them opening a second tab is not good. There should be ability to choose this behavior.
I don't understand: An option for something that is used not often? If it is used seldom it shouldn't bother if there's 1 extra click.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Maybe "Save last used tab" would help to users who do advanced actions (resize...) often, with the same output options. They could just select images, press Ctrl+U and choose (and also check!) script.
I agree, with some additional rule: If nothing has been selected, the first tab must be opened (since user will have to add files). Otherwise the last tab used should be opened.
Yes perhaps a good solution... But you have go to first to change output format & directory!
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

helmut wrote:I don't understand: An option for something that is used not often? If it is used seldom it shouldn't bother if there's 1 extra click.
I think it would be very useful for advanced users who use advanced operations / scripts very often (they also change it often). They use the same output options, so they don't need to switch to the first tab.

BUT - some / novice users, or users who use different output options often or/and use convert and scripts equally it would be no good.

So I suggest: add this option ("Save last used tab") to Options or/and add option "Open last used tab next time" to dialog with option "Do not show this message again".

Edit: Why it's better that current behavior?
Now you must press ctrl+u, select script (maybe also check it, so switch to other tab), press enter.\
With my solution you must press just ctrl+u, enter. It would be very useful if users need to use the same script often...
xnview wrote:Yes perhaps a good solution... But you have go to first to change output format & directory!
No, if I use original output path and same options.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
helmut wrote:I don't understand: An option for something that is used not often? If it is used seldom it shouldn't bother if there's 1 extra click.
I think it would be very useful for advanced users who use advanced operations / scripts very often (they also change it often). They use the same output options, so they don't need to switch to the first tab.

BUT - some / novice users, or users who use different output options often or/and use convert and scripts equally it would be no good.

So I suggest: add this option ("Save last used tab") to Options or/and add option "Open last used tab next time" to dialog with option "Do not show this message again".

Edit: Why it's better that current behavior?
Now you must press ctrl+u, select script (maybe also check it, so switch to other tab), press enter.\
With my solution you must press just ctrl+u, enter. It would be very useful if users need to use the same script often...
xnview wrote:Yes perhaps a good solution... But you have go to first to change output format & directory!
No, if I use original output path and same options.
Really i don't know, difficult to find a good way... :-(
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:...
Put the controls on the pages they are supposed to and the rest will come in Beta 3 ;-)

Wasn't there a suggestion for "[ ] Reload last used script when opening". This would solve the problem for those users who always want a specific script. To ensure that users see that transformations are applied, the title of the tab could have a '*' or some other hint.

Since output folder must always be specified (or in most cases), it might be better if the first tab page was opened, always.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
Put the controls on the pages they are supposed to and the rest will come in Beta 3 ;-)

Wasn't there a suggestion for "[ ] Reload last used script when opening". This would solve the problem for those users who always want a specific script. To ensure that users see that transformations are applied, the title of the tab could have a '*' or some other hint.

Since output folder must always be specified (or in most cases), it might be better if the first tab page was opened, always.
Ok, so currently it's fixed, we'll discuss for beta 3 for an option...
Really i think that it's better to have history on first page, i use it often...
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Moved again to forum group "New/Open": If i put history on first i must enlarge this dialog, for some users, it's not good...
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:Moved again to forum group "New/Open": If i put history on first i must enlarge this dialog, for some users, it's not good...
Why enlarge, and what??

OK, maybe Script could be on first tab, I have few suggestions though:

- use the checkbox to enable/disable script
- add some notes about used options
- maybe, add/move Export there, with tooltip "Export batch for NConvert..."

Like this:

[x] [TestScript.xbs (Resize, Crop, Contrast) v] [Load] [Save] | [Export*]

* = with tooltip "Export batch for NConvert..."

If any script would be chosen, checkbox should be switched from [ ] to [x] always.

Then, also option "Automatically enable last used script" (or similar) could be added (to Options). By default, it should be disabled.

I think it would be clearer than '*' or '!' that might be overlooked easily. Also information about used operations could help.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Dreamer wrote:
xnview wrote:Moved again to forum group "New/Open": If i put history on first i must enlarge this dialog, for some users, it's not good...
Why enlarge, and what??
There is no enough space for parameters if i add history to second page

Like this:

If any script would be chosen, checkbox should be switched from [ ] to [x] always.

Then, also option "Automatically enable last used script" (or similar) could be added (to Options). By default, it should be disabled.

I think it would be clearer than '*' or '!' that might be overlooked easily. Also information about used operations could help.
Yes Export in first tab will be better too as 'Export'
But on first or second page?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
Why enlarge, and what??
But "Export" would go to first page then.
xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
Why enlarge, and what??

Like this:

Yes Export in first tab will be better too as 'Export'
But on first or second page?
First.

So what about my idea (checkbox)?

And what about option "Automatically enable last used script"? I think it's important. If script will be on first page, just this option is needed, "Open last used page/tab" is not needed.
helmut

Post by helmut »

helmut wrote:

In Beta 2 "Export script for NConvert" is on second page. As written before, this is wrong since the scripts for Nconvert contain both files and transformations.

On the other hand, "Load.." and "Save.." are on first tab page. This is also wrong, since Load/Save will not load a script and a file list, but only a list of transformations. So these buttons belong to the "Transformation" tab.

The way the controls are placed in beta 2 is not the way they are supposed to be placed, I think.
helmut

Post by helmut »

My previous post is correct, but the problem is limited space on the second tab page. What about removing the "Remove all" button? I think it's not used very often.
(When removing "Remove all", way the "Remove" button works should be improved. Currently it is ennerving to remove multiple transformations since there is no selection after removal.)
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Helmut, what about my suggestions (here)? Script could stay on first tab then, maybe. And we'd need just one additional option then (more above).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:My previous post is correct, but the problem is limited space on the second tab page. What about removing the "Remove all" button? I think it's not used very often.
(When removing "Remove all", way the "Remove" button works should be improved. Currently it is ennerving to remove multiple transformations since there is no selection after removal.)
If i remove "remove all' button, i'll have enough space for parameters.
And for Dreamer, i'm not sure that checkbox will be good...
Any idea?
Pierre.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Another idea, this Script option on both pages:

(with or without checkbox)

I think it's important to tell users that script options will be used and '*' or '!' is not enough for me.

Or at least - add this information about script (above) to title bar, as "Batch Convert (Resize, Crop, Contrast)" or - next to Transformations, like this "Transformations (Resize, Crop, Contrast)" or just "Transformations (enabled)".

But then it would be harder to ad options for users that use this options often (more above).