REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Bugs and Issues in 1.82 Test versions which have been fixed and verified as resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, xnview

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by ckv » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:53 pm

The Cancel button in Batch convert have been bothering me a long time. It really should be Close button, since it doesn't "cancel" anything.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:17 pm

I still prefer 'Cancel', because when you just 'Close' things... you end wondering whether it will start something somehow... :mrgreen:

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Post by ckv » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:05 pm

Olivier_G wrote:I still prefer 'Cancel', because when you just 'Close' things... you end wondering whether it will start something somehow... :mrgreen:
I don't follow logic here. How could 'Close' start things? But this isn't a big deal so I don't mind... It just that, every time I see that Cancel I get the fell that it's not right.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:55 am

ckv wrote:The Cancel button in Batch convert have been bothering me a long time. It really should be Close button, since it doesn't "cancel" anything.
I disagree, if you just 'close' dialog, it's not cancelled.

What about "Stop"?

User avatar
xnview
Author of XnView
Posts: 33644
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:31 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by xnview » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:42 pm

Dreamer wrote:
ckv wrote:The Cancel button in Batch convert have been bothering me a long time. It really should be Close button, since it doesn't "cancel" anything.
I disagree, if you just 'close' dialog, it's not cancelled.
What about "Stop"?
You don't like 'Close', i think it's perhaps better to have Close to close dialog :-)
Pierre.

User avatar
helmut
Posts: 8217
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Frankfurt, Germany

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by helmut » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:42 pm

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
ckv wrote:The Cancel button in Batch convert have been bothering me a long time. It really should be Close button, since it doesn't "cancel" anything.
I disagree, if you just 'close' dialog, it's not cancelled.
What about "Stop"?
You don't like 'Close', i think it's perhaps better to have Close to close dialog :-)
The combination "Go" and "Close" sounds strange to me:
The user has initiated an action, which is a batch conversion and does preperations for this. "Cancel" will cancel the batch conversion and close the dialog, whereas "Go" will start batch conversion. Pretty clear.

The special thing and situation is the possibility not to perform a batch conversion and not close the dialog by unchecking "Close dialog after conversion". In this case, "Close" might be a bit more appropriate, but with "Cancel" the situation is also clear.

Renaming the button from "Cancel" to "Close" depending on the situation (batch conversion performed or not) would be a real overkill, I think.

Just my 0.02 Euros.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by Dreamer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:36 am

xnview wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
ckv wrote:The Cancel button in Batch convert have been bothering me a long time. It really should be Close button, since it doesn't "cancel" anything.
I disagree, if you just 'close' dialog, it's not cancelled.
What about "Stop"?
You don't like 'Close', i think it's perhaps better to have Close to close dialog :-)
Yes, but conversion is also cancelled / stopped.

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by ckv » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:51 am

Dreamer wrote:Yes, but conversion is also cancelled / stopped.
When the conversion is on you can't use this button (There's own dialog for the conversion what haves the Cancel button for this). So really the Cancel button in Batch convert don't "cancel" anything. For me it's only closes the dialog, because the conversion haven't started yet.
helmut wrote:The combination "Go" and "Close" sounds strange to me
I agree. It sounds strange to me too, but so does the Cancel. When I used Batch convert at the first time I hesitate to press the cancel, because it wasn’t clear what it does. So I end up to closing the dialog from the titlebar close button.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by Dreamer » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:18 am

ckv wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Yes, but conversion is also cancelled / stopped.
When the conversion is on you can't use this button (There's own dialog for the conversion what haves the Cancel button for this).
I meant that conversion dialog, sorry.
For me it's only closes the dialog, because the conversion haven't started yet.
But there are other similar dialogs, e.g. Batch rename or Properties dialog in explorer, there is also nothing started or changed, but it's a standard, maybe not correct, since if you use 'cancel' or 'close' button, same action is performed, but we can't change Windows and all programs with this 'behavior'. Therefore I think XnView should be the same and should use this (incorrect) standard.

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by ckv » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:46 am

Dreamer wrote:But there are other similar dialogs, e.g. Batch rename or Properties dialog in explorer, there is also nothing started or changed,
Well. If you use the "Cancel" in any explorer poroperties dialog, the changes (e.g. in file properties dialog: readonly, hidden...) what you made, doesn't apply. :| So it cancels the changes what is made to the in the dialog.
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: REQ [MINOR]: The Cancel in batch convert should be close

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:23 am

ckv wrote:
Dreamer wrote:But there are other similar dialogs, e.g. Batch rename or Properties dialog in explorer, there is also nothing started or changed,
Well. If you use the "Cancel" in any explorer poroperties dialog, the changes (e.g. in file properties dialog: readonly, hidden...) what you made, doesn't apply. :| So it cancels the changes what is made to the in the dialog.
OK, it's not 100% same but it would be strange if all other windows would have Cancel and one dialog Close IMHO.

User avatar
Olivier_G
XnThusiast
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Post by Olivier_G » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:46 am

ckv wrote:I don't follow logic here. How could 'Close' start things?
I remember using programs where after pressing the button "Close"... ...they actually started to process things! :shock: = User / :twisted: = Author

I can imagine "Close and Run..." but not "Cancel and Run"... :mrgreen:

Therefore I find "Cancel" less prone to misinterpretation.

Olivier

User avatar
Dreamer
XnThusiast
Posts: 4605
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:51 am

OK, so could we close this one?

ckit
XnThusiast
Posts: 2445
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:11 am
Contact:

Post by ckit » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:26 am

I think we should close it, unless you want to run a poll on "close" or "cancel"
XnViewMP 64bits and Windows 10 Pro x64 2004
PhotoFiltre Studio X

User avatar
ckv
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 pm
Location: Glow
Contact:

Post by ckv » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:04 am

ckit wrote:I think we should close it, unless you want to run a poll on "close" or "cancel"
No polls, they never work, and I can life with Cancel. :wink:
XnView Tweak UI - Tool to customize your XnView beyond the regular XnView options.
UI-less Settings - Documentation of all the hidden settings in XnView.
XFAM - Tool to create and customize XnView file associations.

Locked