Small copyrights problem

Group for those who want to contribute in the area of translation of On-Screen texts or Online help of XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Xyzzy-

Small copyrights problem

Post by Xyzzy- »

While Skiff is the current Polish translator, still 90-95% of text was translated by me and previous translators.
That I released copyrights it doesn't mean someone can attribute all the work to himself. It is a breach of both Polish and European copyrights.
So please pay credits where they are due...

X.
Skiff

Post by Skiff »

Sorry, but how could I use your translation when I didn't had yours header files needed to translate XnView?
I received english header files from XnView author so don't tell that I'm atrributing your work for myself!
Xyzzy- wrote:still 90-95% of text was translated by me and previous translators
If that phrases are similar or identicial to those translation made by previous translator that doesn't prove that I just copied them from your work.
But if you say that i.e. file menu is translated the same or even some particular sentences it is no evidence for telling that I didn't translate it alone.

And for the next time please (hope not) refer everything connected to translation to me (send pm from this forum) and not accuse author of XnView.

For me it is not a problem to be in credits alltogether with previous translators if someone feels that his work was neglected.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Hard to reply, here. I guess there is some misunderstanding. This is a one on one issue which should be clarified one on one. Please contact Pierre and me via e-mail to understand and solve your issue (old e-mail addresses are still valid). Thank you!

Just to make sure and clear:
Any contributor should know and be aware that when providing tipps, hints, translations he/she provides that info for free without any copyrights. Name listings (e.g. in "Languages" and "Info > About") are "Thank yous" for some contributors and are not copyrights. Topic "About contribution" may also provide interesting info.
Xyzzy-

Post by Xyzzy- »

Skiff, if it is so and you really did all the job, there's no problem.

Helmut, the right to attribute work is non-transferable. Ie even if you have all copyrights, you can't claim authorship (you can not to reveal it though) and the author can always claim authorship, regardless of if he has copyrights or not. The copyrights and author's rights are not the same.

X.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Xyzzy- wrote:Helmut, the right to attribute work is non-transferable. Ie even if you have all copyrights, you can't claim authorship (you can not to reveal it though) and the author can always claim authorship, regardless of if he has copyrights or not. The copyrights and author's rights are not the same.
Right, there's a difference. Once the author - forever the author.