Always use english word "Language" in Options

Group for those who want to contribute in the area of translation of On-Screen texts or Online help of XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Dreamer
XnThusiast

Always use english word "Language" in Options

Post by Dreamer »

I suggest always use english word "Language" in Options, in all translations.
Reason - if you change language to e.g. Afrikaans by accident and you don't know where exactly is "Language" item, it's almost impossible to change language back.

I suggest this: "Language"

or this: "<"Language" in current language> / Language"

e.g.: "Sprache / Language" or "Sprache (Language)"

I suggest also add "Language" somewhere to menu - always as "Language" in all translations, or as above.
Aokromes

Post by Aokromes »

well, if the translator don't moves the item from where it's i don't have trouble at all, for example i only know 3 languages (spanish, basque and english) but i can use windows on spanish, basque, english, french, italian, portugese, german, rusian, japanase, chinese.
And also think that a lot of ppl downloads XnView from shareware or freeware webpages on their countries, and they can don't know english and only their native language, or native language-french what must do Pierre, write a long text with all languages on xnview? :P
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Aokromes wrote:well, if the translator don't moves the item from where it's i don't have trouble at all...
No problem for you and me, of course, but for novice users.
Aokromes

Post by Aokromes »

Well i think that it can be better make a small tool to reset language.
SeaMaiden

Post by SeaMaiden »

Let the user specify the language during installation, or have a prompt appear the first time the program is opened to specify the language if the zip version (without an installer) is used.

I also like the idea of a small stand-alone tool that can be used to reset the language. However, this needs to be a smart tool so you can reset the language only on specific installations:

1. This is the default installation folder.

C:\Program Files\XnView

2. Your installation might be somewhere else, or you may have multiple versions of XnView installed at the same time in different directories or even on a different drive.

C:\Program Files\XnView 1.74
C:\Program Files\XnView 1.80
C:\Program Files\XnView Free
C:\Program Files\XnView Beta
C:\Program Files\XnView Old
C:\Program Files\XnView Old\1.25
C:\Program Files\XnView Old\1.66
D:\XnView

3. XnView Deluxe may be installed in addition to XnView.

C:\Program Files\XnView Deluxe
C:\Program Files\XnView Deluxe 2
C:\Program Files\XnView Reloaded
D:\XnView Deluxe

I do not necessarily agree with Dreamer about keeping the "Language" option as "Language" (English) regardless of which language is being used. It is not that hard to figure out which option that is with a little experimenting. English is the only language I speak, for instance, but if I change Language to Spanish, French, or German, I can still figure out which menu option "Language" is. It's the one that has the list of all the languages and sometimes has ?????? shown. If I choose German, for instance, English still appears as English at the top of the list, and many of the other languages in the list still appear in English within brackets [ ]. :)
Windows 11 (64-bit), Android 12, XnViewMP 1.5.0, XnResize 1.10, XnShell 4.16
** XnView ROCKS **
Sterregi

I don't know

Post by Sterregi »

So I can't understand why anyone should choose a language other than English, 'cause you'll always have a better support (more informations on the net) in English. Therefore I changed from my native tongue Deutsch to English and was kind of unhappy in Finland to have Windows in Suomi (Finish) and even remain unhappy at my school, which is French to have had to write an exam on French-only programs. - So there is no sense of choosing any language other than English. How should I figure out (if I don't know the user interface) where I can change all the stuff.

Just to acknowledge this ....

Greets, Sterregi