Appcrash with Nconvert.exe 6.93

Discussions on NConvert - the command line tool for image conversion and manipulation

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

leuce

Appcrash with Nconvert.exe 6.93

Post by leuce »

Hello

I'm using an AutoIt script to invoke nconvert.exe often (about every minute, often more), using the command line nconvert.exe -resize 50% 50% -o <OUTPUTFILENAME> <INPUTFILENAME>. Nconvert works fine for about half an hour, and then it starts crashing every time it's used. I'm using Windows 7 HP 64-bit. The crash message given by MS Windows is:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: nconvert.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 57fd2ce5
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23572
Fault Module Timestamp: 57fd02d3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000331f6
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 7177
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Does any of this ring a bell?

I tried rolling back to version 6.21 but I get the same problem.

Samuel
leuce

Re: Appcrash with Nconvert.exe 6.93

Post by leuce »

Hmm, I think the problem may relate to the length of the file names. Is there a maximum file name length in nconvert?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

leuce wrote:Hmm, I think the problem may relate to the length of the file names. Is there a maximum file name length in nconvert?
There is a limit to the length of the command line, set by Windows or DOS I think, but it's very large and only becomes an issue when a large number of input files are listed separately at the end of the code; whether NConvert itself has a limit, I don't know and possibly only Pierre the developer would know, but I don't recall seeing any problems posted before...

Are you using Windows, and what is the approximate length of the file name causing the problem? Any unusual characters such as foreign accents in the file names, although I don't think that should be an issue for NConvert?

Be aware that in Windows, at least, there is a limitation on using spaces in paths when a wildcard is used in the input term, if that could possibly be the actual problem?? From memory I think that spaces in the filename itself are acceptable, but there mustn't be any spaces in the path to the filename or the code doesn't run.

[Edited]
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

@leuce: Any progress, I'm not sure if you saw my post above after I edited it?
leuce

Post by leuce »

cday wrote:@leuce: Any progress, I'm not sure if you saw my post above after I edited it?
I'm using Nconvert with an AutoIt script that takes screenshots. The image file name is taken from the window title. I found that if I visit a web site with a very long "title", then Nconvert is unhappy, so that may be because of the long file name. I'll experiment with artificially reduced file name lengths.