Hidden features and settings

Group for those who want to contribute to the Help file

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Ty

marsh
XnThusiast

Hidden features and settings

Post by marsh »

There are some features and settings which are only discoverable by forum readers. These are not found in program's GUI. This topic will attempt to list them. Often, they are of interest to artists and customizers. Anyone with knowledge of such items are welcome to post them here.
Clo
XnThusiast

In the Manual

Post by Clo »

—> marsh

:) Hello B. !

• That's documented in our MANUAL for a while.
- There is a chapter about this in the “Options details” section…

• We have an agreement with Pierre in order that some contents of our Manual could be used (under certain conditions).
- So, that could ease the job…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Sorry, I don't know command line options so well (don't know any other hidden options/parameters), I know just the capture options, because I have requested them - but I could help you with keyboard and mouse shortcuts, I have created also the topic with all (or at least 99%) shortcuts, also a guide to change the shortcuts with external application, so you can use it, it's all there...

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=5069

http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11713

Let me know if you need help with the shortcuts.
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Ty wrote:Dreamer, I got the shortcut key section done, or mostly done. If you'd like to take a look and critique it, that would be great.
OK, I'll try, great work BTW. :)

Keyboard...

- Refresh is listed twice, "Refresh - Shift+R, F5" should be enough

- "Properties - Alt+Enter, or Ctrl+E" might be change to "Properties - Alt+Enter, Ctrl+E" - also "Show favorites menu - Ctrl+F1, or F6" - "or" should be removed from all shortcuts, or added to all IMO

- "Reopen (view and fullscreen mode) - added F5" - I forgot to remove "added", so please remove it - or just remove it from "Other" and add it to "General" - "Reopen - Ctrl+R, F5"

- "Show image at full size - * (asterisk)" should be "Show image at full size - Numpad * (asterisk)" - my fault again, I have just copied some shortcuts from old Help

- Viewing - "Numpad" is missing for these keys: + - / * (minor - also "Zoom lock" might be below "Fit image to window, all")

- Navigation - "Last File - End // First File - Home" - minor - looks a bit strange, perhaps it should be vice versa

- "Zoom lock - Ctrl+NumPad /" - minor - > "Zoom lock - Ctrl+Numpad /"

Mouse...

- Perhaps we should use the full names for mouse buttons instead of LMB/RMB/MMB, it's a mouse section, so "left button", "right button" might be used - also "LRMB" looks confusing to me

- "Double LMB" might be "Double click"

- "Toggle between modes" - I think "customizable" should be reserved

- I would add also this "Zoom (customizable) - mouse wheel" - it's default option (I guess)

- "Fit image to window (large only) - LMB + RMB" - RMB+LMB is missing

- I have added 2 new mouse shortcuts to my topic:

Zoom + / - - Ctrl+wheel
Select files - Ctrl+LMB

- Some mouse shortcuts work only in view, some only in browser mode, so it should be mentioned - somehow...

- Do you know what "Basic mode" means, here:
"These keystrokes apply to both Browser Mode and View Mode. Those marked in bold text also work in Basic mode."?

BTW I think there's no reason to have the shortcuts in Help and forum, so you could maintain them in Help - I could help you of course, perhaps I could start the new topic and add the new shortcuts there, then you could add them to Help and remove them from the topic, or - I see it's impossible, reply if you'll add it and I could remove them from the post...
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Capture command line options note:

I'd change this text:

"Path and file name is customizable - screenshot is created, saved and then xnview exits.

It doesn't matter what extension is used, you can use ext, extension is taken from Capture setup dialog."

to:

"Extension is taken from the Capture setup dialog. Path and file name is customizable. Screenshot is created, saved and then xnview exits, when using path and file name."

Because we use ".ext", so the note that any shortcut can be used is not needed IMO.

You can change the wording if needed, I'm sure your English is much better than mine.

Edit:

Why there's "xnview -capture=window" - perhaps xnview.exe, but I don't think it's needed (xnview). :?

Minor - I'd change also "capture" to "Capture". :wink:
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Dreamer--

Thanks for the excellent feedback on the shortcut keys. I accepted and applied ALL of your suggestions and ideas, except for the ones that I now specifically mention.
Dreamer wrote:"or" should be removed from all shortcuts, or added to all IMO
I added parentheses () to all "or" statements, and put (or) everywhere it should be.
Dreamer wrote:- "Show image at full size - * (asterisk)" should be "Show image at full size - Numpad * (asterisk)" - my fault again, I have just copied some shortcuts from old Help

- Viewing - "Numpad" is missing for these keys: + - / * (minor - also "Zoom lock" might be below "Fit image to window, all")
Your comments here do not agree with my experience. My images (in View mode) zoom, etc., when I use either the numpad keys (* - + / ) or the not-numpad keys. So "numpad" seems unnecessary to mention. ??
Dreamer wrote:Do you know what "Basic mode" means, here: "These keystrokes apply to both Browser Mode and View Mode. Those marked in bold text also work in Basic mode."?
"Basic Mode" is what you have left if you close all image windows and the browser window also; just a blank screen with some menu buttons. It is kind of odd, and certain rare for a regular user to see--and then, who cares about shortcut keys? Perhaps I shouldn't mention it. What do you think?
Dreamer wrote:"Toggle between modes" - I think "customizable" should be reserved
This comment I did not understand.
Dreamer wrote:I have added 2 new mouse shortcuts to my topic: Zoom + / - - Ctrl+wheel
This comment I also did not understand. We've discussed this before. In my environment, scrolling the mouse button zooms the image. "Control" (a) is not needed, and (b) doesn't work.??

What is "zoom lock?" Ctrl+Numpad / doesn't appear to do anything.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Marsh

Thanks for comments on %converted. I put them into help file more or less as you wrote them.
Ty

Post by Ty »

Dreamer--

I made the changes you suggested to the Capture (note capital "C"!!) text. However, I didn't understand this:
Dreamer wrote: Why there's "xnview -capture=window" - perhaps xnview.exe, but I don't think it's needed (xnview).
I don't think the .exe is needed, so I will leave the text as is unless you think we should change it.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

You're welcome.
Your comments here do not agree with my experience. My images (in View mode) zoom, etc., when I use either the numpad keys (* - + / ) or the not-numpad keys. So "numpad" seems unnecessary to mention. ??
Indeed - but then both shortcuts should be listed IMO, e.g. "*, Numpad *".
"Basic Mode" is what you have left if you close all image windows and the browser window also; just a blank screen with some menu buttons. It is kind of odd, and certain rare for a regular user to see--and then, who cares about shortcut keys? Perhaps I shouldn't mention it. What do you think?
Thanks for explanation. I think it's more confusing than useful for users, but it's just my opinion. I'm not sure if I should decide here.
"Toggle between modes" - I think "customizable" should be reserved

This comment I did not understand.
In the "All Current Hotkeys / Shortcuts" topic I have exactly this:

"Switching between modes (customizable) - LMB double-click"

So I think this "(customizable)" might be included in Help too, since this shortcut can be changed, but it's not so important.
I have added 2 new mouse shortcuts to my topic: Zoom + / - - Ctrl+wheel
This comment I also did not understand. We've discussed this before. In my environment, scrolling the mouse button zooms the image. "Control" (a) is not needed, and (b) doesn't work.??
It works here, also if I change wheel to "zoom", strange. :? It's needed if you change default option for wheel to "prev./next image".
What is "zoom lock?" Ctrl+Numpad / doesn't appear to do anything.
When you zoom in/out, press Ctrl+/ and switch to next image, zoom state is reserved.
Why there's "xnview -capture=window" - perhaps xnview.exe, but I don't think it's needed (xnview).
I don't think the .exe is needed, so I will leave the text as is unless you think we should change it.
I just don't understand why "xnview" is there. :? There should be a full path and xnview.exe - your example:

xnview -capture=desktop,c:\file.ext

doesn't work, just an error dialog is shown when I paste it to "Run...".

This works good:

C:\Program Files\XnView\xnview.exe -capture=desktop,c:\file.ext

Perhaps it's just me, I see "xnview" also in xnview's menu > command line help - "Usage: xnview [options]" but I still don't understand that "xnview". :?
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Thanks Ty.
One thing I need to do for certain is to identify all the keystrokes that are customizable. We have some identified, but not all. How do we tell what is the default key operation? Is it always the first one listed in the choices box?
Close xnview and delete or rename xnview.ini to reset all settings. All customizable keyboard shortcuts should be in Options > Keyboard/Mouse section - 1st and last tab.
Also: do you use/have Excel?
If you're asking me (?), then - no, I use OpenOffice, but it should be compatible with Excel format, not sure if 100% compatible though.

More comments:

- "Zoom lock (for next image) - Ctrl+/" doesn't work, only Ctrl+Numpad / works - perhaps it should work, but it a question for Pierre.

- "Delete selected files - Del" might be changed to "Delete selected items - Del", or "Delete selected files/folders - Del".

I'll check the rest later...
Dreamer
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Mouse shortcuts:

- "Toggle between modes - Double click left (or) middle button" - there should be "*" - customizable.

- These mouse shortcuts have been removed - why?

Zoom + / - - LMB+wheel / RMB+wheel
Zoom + / - - Ctrl+wheel

- "Zoom lock - LRMB + MMB" - LRMB and MMB should be changed to "Zoom lock - lef click + middle click (or) right click + middle click" + mode: "View"

- "Show Windows context menu" works only in Browser mode

Keyboard shortcuts:

- Browser > Reopen/Refresh is listed twice. I see it's not the same, "view and fullscreen mode" is incorrect, also one shortcut is missing, so I suggest to change this:

"Refresh - F5, Shift+R"
"Reopen (view and fullscreen mode) - F5"

To:

"Refresh - F5, Shift+R"
"Refresh (rebuild thumbnails) - Ctrl+R"

- I can't find this shortcut in Help (but it's my fault):

File listing - Shift+L, Ctrl+M (Browser)

- I'd add also this (since the mouse shortcut for this operation is in the list):

"Toggle between modes - Enter *"

- "Rename - F2" works in both modes, so it should be in "All Modes Shortcut Keys" section instead of Browser and View mode separately.

- "Copy selected files into" and "Move selected files into" is incorrect, also folders work, so it should be changed to:

"Copy selected items into" and "Move selected items into"

or: "Copy selected files/folders into" and "Move selected files/folders into"

- I'm not sure about this:

"* indicates that this keyboard/mouse operation may be customized by the user; see Tools > General > Keyboard/Mouse."

There should be Tools > Options, or just Options instead of "Tools" IMO.

- - - - - - - - - -

Command line:

- There is still this in Command line:

"xnview -capture=desktop,c:\file.ext"
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Dreamer--

Problems with "command line" and "capture" found and fixed. Thanks.
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Perhaps you could add the link to HotkeyP to Help - with the link to Guide "How to change, or/and create new keyboard shortcuts". Or you could copy the guide to Help, it's not perfect, but perhaps it would be useful, many users are asking for custom shortcuts and this is a good workaround.
Dreamer
Ty

Post by Ty »

Hello Dreamer,

I have added, changed, fixed, etc., everything you suggested in your latest posts. Lots of things!

The only thing I didn't deal with is this:
- Browser > Reopen/Refresh is listed twice. I see it's not the same, "view and fullscreen mode" is incorrect, also one shortcut is missing, so I suggest to change this:

"Refresh - F5, Shift+R"
"Reopen (view and fullscreen mode) - F5"

To:

"Refresh - F5, Shift+R"
"Refresh (rebuild thumbnails) - Ctrl+R"
I don't quite understand what's going on here. What is "refresh" anyway? And how is it different from "rebuild thumbnails?"
Ty

Post by Ty »

Dreamer--

The question about Excel was this:

Do you think it's possible to create a spreadsheet of all the shortcut keys and then have it be the "master copy" that you, Pierre and me (and anybody else who is interested) all work off of?

For example: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... MYGrvL4icw

(This is not up-to-date, but shows how we might use Google spreadsheets)

How do you and Pierre keep track of things now?